PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
When I first started with the pipe I knew I wanted to quit cigs but I didn't try all that hard. I smoked both for a few months and was just glad I had cut back to half a pack instead of a whole one. I started really cutting back probably last October and quit them completely as my new year's resolution. Haven't touched one since, so I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear!
I think I'm at the half and half point of your story. I hope it ends the same!! Congrats man!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I think I'm at the half and half point of your story. I hope it ends the same!! Congrats man!
Good luck! When I quit, I alternated between higher nicotine blends like from the Gawiths, Irish plugs, Royal Yacht, etc., and lighter oriental blends or semi-aros. I was probably smoking 6 or 7 bowls a day though. Now I'm back down to 3 or 4. The pipe is a much more satisfying delivery system than vaping or nicotine gum!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm one of these pipe smokers that usually doesn't have much interest in a bowl until after lunch. I'm the breakfast cook and cat feeder, and observe other routines like bringing in the morning paper and such. When I do smoke early, it's likely burley, to make a rhyme of it. But that's sort of true any time, though I smoke other leaf as well.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Depends on when I get up, I might get a morning smoke. Typically, I pick a pipe first and see what I want to smoke from the rotation. Today was University Flake in Peterson SH Hansom. Hansom was perfect for the flake. Had very relaxing two hours of smoke with only three relights. Satisfying. As usual, diet Pepsi wild cherry was the drink. Had coffee while waiting for the flake to dry.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
If it’s a work morning, my first smoke is generally only 15-20 minutes. Lately it’s been OJK or 5 Brothers right off the bat, with some coffee with a splash of cream.

If it’s a lazy morning, I like a good VaPer flake like Escudo or LNF...something that’s gonna burn for an hour or so. Once and a while, I’ll have some Chelsea Morning or Squadron Leader, though, as they go so well with coffee.

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I hate saying this, but it's a cigarette after eating a donut and drinking some coffee. I do however switch to a pipe shortly thereafter and it's normally something burley like Pegasus.
I'm still on the cigs too...trying so hard to let them go. The morning may be the hardest. But I find if I allow myself one in the morning I can go the rest of the day on the pipe.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Hard to beat Nording (McClelland) Labrador with coffee. That is my go to for the rare occurrence of a morning smoke. Unfortunately that tobacco is no more. My stash will be gone in time.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have recently discovered by accident that I prefer Latakia first thing. If I get the opportunity to be out of the whare while it is still crisp, I will load a small bowl up with Sutliff Voodoo Queen or F&K Lancer Slices

Edit: I should also note that I drink Yerba mate when I get up, sometimes even a litre before breakfast. This would no doubt influence my palette differently to coffee etc.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Being a reformed cigarette smoker, I crave nicotine when I wake up, and I rely on a few strong blends to get me going. The dark flakes by the Gawiths (Dark Flake, 1792, etc,) are my usual choice but I also rotate in some JackKnife and HH Bold Kentucky.

I really like GLP Chelsea Morning and think it would make a superb first of the day smoke, but it doesn't have enough nicotine to be a morning smoke for me, and I usually crave something fuller in flavor as the day goes on. So my tin will probably last me quite a long time.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I have recently discovered by accident that I prefer Latakia first thing. If I get the opportunity to be out of the whare while it is still crisp, I will load a small bowl up with Sutliff Voodoo Queen or F&K Lancer Slices

Edit: I should also note that I drink Yerba mate when I get up, sometimes even a litre before breakfast. This would no doubt influence my palette differently to coffee etc.
Everyone talks about how well lat pairs with coffee, and it does! But I love Yerba as well and it seems to bring out the best qualities in Orientals in general, as well as dark VAs. Have you noticed the fleeting raspberry flavor weaving in and out of Voodoo Queen?

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Everyone talks about how well lat pairs with coffee, and it does! But I love Yerba as well and it seems to bring out the best qualities in Orientals in general, as well as dark VAs. Have you noticed the fleeting raspberry flavor weaving in and out of Voodoo Queen?
This is interesting. So normally I am not a morning smoker. It’s only because of the lockdown that I have the opportunity to do so. I have recently noticed something like a Black Forest gateaux flavour - could be the raspberry - when smoking after Yerba. voodoo queen and amphora burley have been my last two morning smokes where this happened as almost a ghost/after taste. I got a smooth mocha flavour the slices in voodoo queen in this mornings bowl of newminster 403. Again, after Yerba but in a different pipe.

I can imagine orientals pairing well. Earlier in the week I tried some drama reserve first thing and it was lovely. orientals remind me of green/woody herbs and spices that are still growing. Yerba is a Smoked holy plant, and I love the earthiness that comes when you drink it with the stems and branches included. Quite similar in this regard.

I will try a dark VA next.

chur

Reactions: rushx9

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Btw, I also sometimes get a raspberry flavour from Yerba alone.

Reactions: rushx9