PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Why will only 2% plume? Are the rest worse cigars?

And why can't mold grow in those conditions? Pretty sure it manages well enough in similar environments.

And once again, there is the issue of this oil. What is it? Why can't we just extract it and see what it looks like?

I'll also come back round to the source of my initial skepticism - I've not actually seen any proof that the plume is anything other than mold, fungus or bacteria in the numerous examples shown. On the other hand, the FOH 'study' shows nothing but.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Smoke it. Mold on my tobacco has been so obvious that there wasn’t a question. Recently some Dunbar I had was powdery and a few minutes in the daylight Sun made me glad I hadn’t trashed it. Who knows if it’s plume… but harmful mold… I’m just unconvinced based on your pictures.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
You are very much mistaken.
I’ve been cellering cigars since 1993. 70/70 is absolutely suitable conditions for mold growth. I’ve seen it happen.
If you saw mold you were wrong about the humidity. Some how I doubt you kept a hygrometer on pipe tobacco. Few pipe smokers do. But at this point, if you don't believe in plume, you never will. No need to argue over it. Merry Christmas.

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Late to the party. My vote is mostly crystallized sugars and other organic compounds from the casing getting squeezed out during the pressing and drying on the cuts.

Actual pipe tobacco mold I experienced a few times will gag you with the smell, and is very furry and wispy.