PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
What would you consider to be a more modern blend? Not sure the word "boutique" fits in this category, but it could. I personally enjoy the good ol' basic blends, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, as well as their matches.

Reactions: tomnernas2ndson
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
What would you consider to be a more modern blend? Not sure the word "boutique" fits in this category, but it could. I personally enjoy the good ol' basic blends, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, as well as their matches.
I enjoy Sutliff’s Chatham Manor, it’s supposed to be a match to Carter Hall. Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut is good as well, but to my tastes, pretty much interchangeable with Chatham Manor. They’re not identical, but similar enough that I’d get one or the other if just trying to sample different blends.
I really like C&D’s Gentleman Caller, which is kind of a throwback blend with deertongue in it, but also a little Perique. It’s a staple blend for me.
C&D Winchester is great. It’s a red Virginia/Cavendish blend, but the Cavendish is made from Kentucky Green River Burley, and retains a lot of the Burley molasses notes. Goes great with coffee in the morning.

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I enjoy Sutliff’s Chatham Manor, it’s supposed to be a match to Carter Hall. Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut is good as well, but to my tastes, pretty much interchangeable with Chatham Manor. They’re not identical, but similar enough that I’d get one or the other if just trying to sample different blends.
I really like C&D’s Gentleman Caller, which is kind of a throwback blend with deertongue in it, but also a little Perique. It’s a staple blend for me.
C&D Winchester is great. It’s a red Virginia/Cavendish blend, but the Cavendish is made from Kentucky Green River Burley, and retains a lot of the Burley molasses notes. Goes great with coffee in the morning.

Reactions: tomnernas2ndson
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It seems like C&D have quite a number of blends that fit in the kicked-up/modern codger blends. Your suggestions are added to my cart. Thanks!
No problem. Hope you enjoy them. C&D does have quite a few blends that would fill that niche, because to me, at least here in the US, “codger blend” says “Burley,” and there are few that do Burley as well as C&D in my opinion. Although, I would add D&R’s Two Timer to that list. It’s a tasty blend as well.

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
C&D's Pegasus is a stepped up version of blends like Prince Albert and Carter Hall and some other OTC Codger blends.
I actually have that one in my order. When I found it online I wondered why I haven't found much mention of it here on the forum. Stepped up version is exactly what I'm going for. Thank you sir!

Reactions: ray47 and mso489

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
No problem. Hope you enjoy them. C&D does have quite a few blends that would fill that niche, because to me, at least here in the US, “codger blend” says “Burley,” and there are few that do Burley as well as C&D in my opinion. Although, I would add D&R’s Two Timer to that list. It’s a tasty blend as well.
Two Timer got it. Basically I would like to have a daily rotation that is simple and easy to smoke, but with some interest in the different blends. Adding in those more complex mixtures as those one a days or after dinner treats. Seeing as I'm not new to tobacco, but new to piping, my palate is not that sophisticated but a do smoke throughout the day.

Reactions: mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A lavish array, often neglected, include unheralded bag, pouch, and bulk blends. To name only two, both from PC, are C'est La Vie, a pleasantly understated vanilla aromatic, and John Bull, a sturdy, tasty dependable English. Others include blends from D&R and OHM, C&D in bulk, Peter Stokkebye, and Sutliff. Codger might be loosely defined as what's good and lasts, and is readily available. SP's Low Country tins and blends fall well within this category as well.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
The Amphora blends look tasty, I might get a sampler. I will look into Orlik, they seem to be favorites here. Thank you!
As to those above blends, my experience is that all these benefit from little drying time prior to loading up,being packed into bowl rather on the looser side, though there are folkshere who's able to smoke those as they come,right off the pouch,I'd like too but obviously I can't ,very sensitive to tongue bite you see,

Reactions: J.GANDY

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Low country Virginia and Burley is a nice blend. C&D Pegasus is fantastic. Though not talked about as a codger blend probably because of the components I would add lane HGL. Good all day smoker that's been around forever.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I actually have that one in my order. When I found it online I wondered why I haven't found much mention of it here on the forum. Stepped up version is exactly what I'm going for. Thank you sir!
because what you hear about goes in cycles. There was a time when you couldn't swing a stuffed cat without hitting a recommendation for Pegasus. Why because there are a lot of great blends out there someone tries it recommends it others try it and it goes on til it runs out steam or the same thing happens to another blend.

Reactions: J.GANDY
Status
Not open for further replies.