PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I suggest trying out the various Bob Runowski burley blends that C&D offers. Runowski had a fondness for recreating and reinterpreting classic codger blends and was very good at it. He's responsible for Americana, Pegasus, Adagio, Ephiphany, Morley's Best, Haunted Bookshop and a number of other great blends. Search on "Runowski" on Tobacco Reviews to see his list of blends.

Inns of Court is also worth trying. Although not a classic codger blend, it's a great smoke and fits the flavor profile you're looking at.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Storm Front from 4noggins. Hands down. It's like Carter Hall or PA, but with more depth.

+1 to Haunted Bookshop

Also Billy Budd Blonde.

Reactions: J.GANDY

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
A lavish array, often neglected, include unheralded bag, pouch, and bulk blends. To name only two, both from PC, are C'est La Vie, a pleasantly understated vanilla aromatic, and John Bull, a sturdy, tasty dependable English. Others include blends from D&R and OHM, C&D in bulk, Peter Stokkebye, and Sutliff. Codger might be loosely defined as what's good and lasts, and is readily available. SP's Low Country tins and blends fall well within this category as well.
The first two you mentioned I have never heard of and sounds intriguing. I have and have tried a few sutliff blends as well as C&D blends. I agree with you in codger being what's good and last, easy to find. As I definitely enjoy the classics I have tried, and will continue to smoke in rotation, having other tried and true blends in the mix will be nice. Thank you for these suggestions!
A lavish array, often neglected, include unheralded bag, pouch, and bulk blends. To name only two, both from PC, are C'est La Vie, a pleasantly understated vanilla aromatic, and John Bull, a sturdy, tasty dependable English. Others include blends from D&R and OHM, C&D in bulk, Peter Stokkebye, and Sutliff. Codger might be loosely defined as what's good and lasts, and is readily available. SP's Low Country tins and blends fall well within this category as well.
The first two you mentioned I have never heard of and sound quite intriguing. You hit it on the head with "what's good and last". As of now I am enjoying the classic basic blends that are around still because they are good. It's also interesting to hear of the newer or "modern" blends that maybe those next classic blends. I am a pretty basic person with a taste for robust favors. Thank you for you suggestions, I will definitely check these out!

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
As to those above blends, my experience is that all these benefit from little drying time prior to loading up,being packed into bowl rather on the looser side, though there are folkshere who's able to smoke those as they come,right off the pouch,I'd like too but obviously I can't ,very sensitive to tongue bite you see,
I will tread lightly and dry a little and try some straight from the pouch. Thanks for the tip! Luckily I have experienced only mild tongue bite. I hope to keep it that way! Lol.

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Low country Virginia and Burley is a nice blend. C&D Pegasus is fantastic. Though not talked about as a codger blend probably because of the components I would add lane HGL. Good all day smoker that's been around forever.
I don't mind a good blend of tobacco's just enjoying the basic and looking for other that I don't have to think about to enjoy but have some interest in flavor. Thanks!

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I suggest trying out the various Bob Runowski burley blends that C&D offers. Runowski had a fondness for recreating and reinterpreting classic codger blends and was very good at it. He's responsible for Americana, Pegasus, Adagio, Ephiphany, Morley's Best, Haunted Bookshop and a number of other great blends. Search on "Runowski" on Tobacco Reviews to see his list of blends.

Inns of Court is also worth trying. Although not a classic codger blend, it's a great smoke and fits the flavor profile you're looking at.
I am enjoying Haunted bookshop a lot. I'm realizing C&D seems to popping up frequently, I will definitely investigate further. Thanks for you suggestions!

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
because what you hear about goes in cycles. There was a time when you couldn't swing a stuffed cat without hitting a recommendation for Pegasus. Why because there are a lot of great blends out there someone tries it recommends it others try it and it goes on til it runs out steam or the same thing happens to another blend.
That makes sense, the new or at least most popular right now. I will work through the champions of past while my palate develop. ?

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

Haunted Bookshop has messed up my relationship with Prince Albert... HB is everything PA wants to be, when it grows up and gets a pair. ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
img_20170620_120507-337x600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.