PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yep. I've had a couple PMs about it, too, so I decided to comment on my plans.
Yes, Chris, I am going to tweak it a little. I think I'm going to do less Burley, more of the Carolina, a little less of the Lat (sorry Dave) and more Perique (Your Welcome, Mick and other Perique freaks). I think that will solve Jason's DGT issue. Burley tends to pop in, say, "Hey! how bout some Burley!" and punch you in the face sometimes. I still need it to balance out the VA component, but proportionally, I think it could be better. Taming the Latakia is the hardest since it's not supposed to be an English, but the Cyprian Lat is nice and smooth and adds a smoky quality. The changes are just a couple of percents, though, so probably not a glaring difference.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I smoked some of this at a birthday party this past weekend, since it was in my pipe case, and it had none of the harshness I had encountered in any of the previous smokes. I'd like to go on record that, when inebriated, all harshness goes away. That might be the key to this blend. Smoke drunk. JK! :rofl:
-Jason

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I had a little left, and tried it in my Pete System pipe last Saturday. I dont usually smoke Englishes in my Pete, but all I got from it was the Latakia. Definitely would like to try it again after the tweaks.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Just finished a bowl of Miskatonic in a Pete billiard and it was so terrible it made me cry, because it was the last of my sample :crying: I certainly look forward to the time when I will be able to get more of this fine blend.

Jul 15, 2011
Through a very odd twist of fate, I got my hands on a small sample of Miskatonic with a tobacco trade that I recently did, so I decided to bump this thread and let everyone know that I'm going to attempt a review of it when I get around to trying it. I originally looked at this thread to see what was in the blend and it sounds tasty.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm always interested in a new perspective. Though I am pleased with how it's going, this is my first real blend and its development is not even a year old, so it is a work in progress. Maybe in 5 more years I will consider it perfected. Like my mead, I consider blending an exercise in patience. The difference is I have over a decade into mead, so my level of confidence is much higher.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
5 lbs of Miskatonic ready for aging.
b3e290b4.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It will be crushed, left in the dark and mercilessly tormented under the mocking face of the gibbous moon until the stars align on the 2012 Winter Solstice. Buahaha!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm smoking some of the new stuff right now. Changing the balance of a couple of the components definitely accomplished what I wanted. It has more sweetness and the acrid quality, which I determined to be the "Burley Curse" is gone. It is still smooth as silk and still has the flavor morph going on that made it so interesting. If anything it does it a little more now than before. It should pick up even more smoothness and consistency from aging so if it is this smooth now, I can't wait until I break it out in 3 months. The VA component is a little higher than before so it will have to age to really get good. It still smells amazing in the jar.

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Very exciting news Chris! Thanks for the update and please do keep us posted. Cheers! :puffpipe:

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Baron, if you ever get around to making a Balkan, you should name it, "The Thing that Should Not Be."
And count me in on some when that stuff is ready to go. I'm anxious to try it.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I am working on a VaPer, tentatively called Randolph Carter Blend. I have thought about a Balkan, though. I was thinking of calling it Innsmouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.