PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was enlisted as a Navy radioman and then, remarkably, as a Navy journalist. Radio duty was on the USS Gallant, MSO 489, in the South China Sea waters off Vietnam, and on a trans-Pacific return to homeport in Long Beach. As a journalist, I was on Midway Island and in Milwaukee recruiting, all this between 1968 and 1972, between getting an undergraduate degree and a graduate degree on GI Bill.

Pallidan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2020
Nassau County Long Island
I was enlisted as a Navy radioman and then, remarkably, as a Navy journalist. Radio duty was on the USS Gallant, MSO 489, in the South China Sea waters off Vietnam, and on a trans-Pacific return to homeport in Long Beach. As a journalist, I was on Midway Island and in Milwaukee recruiting, all this between 1968 and 1972, between getting an undergraduate degree and a graduate degree on GI Bill.
I went to school on the G.I. Bill as well.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
i

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Former Army Drill Sergeant, Fort Leonard Wood. Former 82nd Airborne Division Paratrooper, MOS 13E, 31M, 42A among others I obtained to instruct. Served 1982 thru 2007. Retired Sergeant First Class, E-7.

Come from a Naval Family tradition. Leave it to me to break that chain. Last family member who was Army was my Great Grandfather, Doughboy, WW I. He stared smokin at age 7. Lol

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I had a dear friend, Sam, who passed away this year at the tender age of 98. Sam was a Radioman at Pearl! He was on the PBY Tender Tangier and kept over the horizon during the attack. When he entered Pearl, he was assigned to the Admirals ship to replace a radioman who was KIA. Living history. Btw, my Dad was a Flight Deck Corpsman on the Saratoga and the Essex. My Grandfather Fred saw Pacific and Atlantic action on the Destroyer Niblack and my maternal Grandfather a Marine on Iwo Jima. I have his Japanese Flag full of Marine’s signatures and hometowns in the white field.

Status
Not open for further replies.