PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
U.S. Army from 1966-1969.

Thank you, especially you and your generation, for what you guys went through and the lack of support y’all received when you got back home. Wasn’t alive, have only read about it, and it seems like a level of national embarrassment that is only rivaled by whatever the hell we’re doing these days.

Regardless, thank you.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
Army Infantry 5-01 to 8-04.

I was in my final week of basic when 9/11 happened.

First duty station was at Baumholder, Germany with a mechanized infantry unit 1/6 Infantry. Loved all my time in Germany.

4/2003 deployed in support of OIF, after sitting in Kuwait for what seemed like forever we made in to Baghdad early May. We were told we would be home by Christmas......Then it turned into a year long deployment. April of 2004 we left our FOB in Baghdad and we’re on track to redeploy home to Germany. We spent a few days at BIAP and were only two days out from flying home when the whole division got stop lossed and we were sent packing down to Al-Iskandaria bc tptb wanted “Hardened soldiers” on the ground there instead of fresh troops. This was around the time the Mahdi militia was heating things up over there.

Iskandaria was wild. We ended up leaving July of 2004 and my time in the army was more than up after being stop lossed.

It was the greatest job I’ve ever had even in the worst of times.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
U.S. Coast Guard from Jan. 1972 - Sept. 1993. Started out in the engine room of an icebreaker that had been commissioned in the 1940s and given to the Russians as part of the Lend/Lease Act. The broke it, gave it back to the Navy in the 1950s and the Navy gave it to the Coast Guard.

Second unit was a Long Range Aids-to-Navigation station. Then the Coast Guard found out I could string coherent sentences together and made me a photojournalist. I retired as a Senior Chief in 1993 when the Coast Guard decided the only place to put me was at a desk in Washington, D.C.

Didn't serve in any combat zones (came close three times), but I did spend three years in Miami, three in New York City, two outside of Philadelphia and a total of six years in New Orleans. I worked hurricanes, major oil spills, ship collisions and cruise ship fires. I was also involved in three of the largest drug enforcement operations of the 1980s, Cuban and Haitian migrant operations.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
That must have been an enlightening experience, joining the Army as a prior Airman. I’d love to hear how the situation unfolded the first time you were with a group of soldiers and a group of airmen were spotted...
Yeah, as you can imagine I took a lot of flack. When the lower enlisted maintainers would run into a problem that they couldn’t figure out or wasn’t in a Tech Manual.......they would say “go get Chair Force, he knows everything”:ROFLMAO:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other than me, family vets include my mom's cousin who was killed as a tank crew member in Patton's tank corps; my Uncle Dick who was a landing craft officer at the first amphibious attack in WWII at Tarawa; my dad was a minesweeper skipper in the Philippines; and my Uncle Roger, an engineer, was in what he jokingly called the chair-borne forces. Not my family, but a grade school buddy's dad, a motorcycle guy, joined the Royal Canadian Air Force before the U.S. was in WWII, and flew missions over Europe for Canada and then the U.S. for the duration. He was the most preternaturally calm person I have ever seen, and so far as I know, never rode a motorcycle nor flew a plane again.

Status
Not open for further replies.