PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
The old dude never met my granddad, that's for sure. Conversation would've went this way:
"Well, that's cool. Here, have some of mine."
My granddad: "Sayyyy! Free tobacco? Didn't know I was due for a good deed! Why, that's right kind of you, going out of your way to give an old stranger some of your tobacco! Pull up a chair, son, let's give this tobacco of yours a day in court. Being free, I bet we'll come to a favorable verdict."

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Ah, yes! We wouldn't want to offend anyone by being critical or unkind. Two of my usual states are unkind and critical. I look at every thing with a critical eye and listen with a critical ear. Sometimes comments must be unkind, even when stated in the kindest manner.
I've never shied away from offending if it's required. Ask woodsroad. Of course he is easily offended. I'm betting he is taking offense before he even reads this. Being truthful seems to be the easiest way to offend people.
People always have excuses for their rude behavior. Usually such the excuses are simply not valid. Still, the cretin feels better by stating them as they proffer a less than sincere apology to you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dallas, Texas. That's a whole different world. Can't even guess what the dynamics were. I was thinking Earl's Court (London neighborhood).

A British themed pub in Texas would be pretty disorienting. Maybe the old guy thought he'd time-tripped into Star Wars.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Dan... I know but felt I needed to specify not for you but for others.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I am shocked. I can't believe that any of you would think that this was appropriate behavior. I don't give a flying dung heap if your dog got run over by a bus being driven by anti-smoking nazis. For crying out loud, common courtesy.
common courtesy would have been not to invite yourself into someone else's party.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
There are types like this in a lot of hobbies . I used to be in a Mustang car club. I like all generations of the car even the much maligned 74-78 Mustang II. But you'd have guys scowl or be rude about anything other than what they liked.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Well to me that's pretty much of an important factor in this matter. Pipe smoking is not generally considered as a 'hobby'. I know that I don't consider it as such and more likely than not neither did the guy at the bar. As I said earlier; it's akin to me smoking a cigarette and eagerly being approached by a total stranger who asks me what brand of cigarettes I'm smoking and wanting to share some of his brand with me because he considers cigarette smoking as a hobby and that we then share a common interest or kinship. As someone mentioned earlier on this thread a pipe is simply that, a pipe, and that the pipe is certainly not an indicator of the person's demeanor, level of education, wealth, or anything else with regard to personality.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I agree. To hear pipe smoking described as a hobby is very strange to me. I don't like people very much, even under the best of circumstances, so being approached by a stranger is something that would make me feel very weird, put me momentarily off-balance, and I wouldn't appreciate it. I probably wouldn't be rude, but I wouldn't necessarily be all that hospitable, either.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@trailboss: Great story about the pastor and the waitress...a humbling story. That is a pastor who actually deserves to be called a man of God.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Simnett,
Just remember the next time you approach a stranger in a Texas bar:
DkQ4yrG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.