New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So, men’s underwear used fo be only those horrible white cotton things that made it easy to get jock itch.

In the middle’70’s I converted to boxes. While helping, you felt like “the boys” were swimming

Finally men have adopted the same materials as the women. No moisture issues and support.

If we could only find “lift and separate “ ones…lol!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Every man has to figure this out for himself. Support versus air flow, and other considerations. Boxer briefs seemed to be a compromise, but seem to me to be the worst of both worlds. Also, there is a big generational influence, liking what you grew up with, maybe a very long time ago, that now looks outdated or downright kinky. Some do briefs in the winter and boxers in the summer. You have to walk this lonesome valley, and you have to walk it by yourself.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
If you are a boxer man, just try wearing tighty whities for 1 week, I dare you!

I didn’t make it, lasted about 3 days.

I think MSO is right, it’s definitely a generational thing. I imagine it might be tough wearing boxers if you’ve been a tighty whitey man your entire life.

Last edited:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Gotta have the air flow. In the summer time, all I wear is Columbia brand swimming trunk shorts with the liner cut out. Max air flow, and never a bit of swamp ass. They are called "Columbia PFG Backcast Water Shorts" and after I bought one pair, I bought a few more, and they are all I wear in the hottest months, along with very lightweight cotton shirts. They look more or less like regular shorts, but are made out of synthetic swimming trunk material.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think women's underwear would accommodate my parts. However, a striking piece of historical impropriety is that Sir Winston Churchill wore pink briefs. Hey, don't ask me what he was up to. But so it seems.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and simong

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Just put a couple in my wishlist, I’ve been looking for a good pair of shorts like this. Bought something similar at Ross but they stretched out and look horrible now. Do these shorts last a good while?

My first pair has been worn for three summers, and they are still going strong. I only have three pairs, and they get worn pretty hard. I have never put any of mine in the dryer, which may have an impact on their longevity. I've even worn them straight out of the washing machine and let them dry on my body over the next twenty or thirty minutes, like a pair of damp swimming trunks. They come out of the washer halfway dry anyway. They are great shorts. If I lost all mine somehow, I would repurchase them all right away.

EDIT: I wear them mowing the yard, padding canoes and kayaks, swimming in pools, and any other summertime use you can think of, and they've withstood all of it.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
My only problem with those Columbia type is bulk and too long for my hiking shorts.

Should I mention my Mountian Hardware hiking kilt? Now that, boys, is freedom, but …..

They are baggy, but I have come to appreciate that. I generally wear them with loose fitting lightweight button up cotton shirts. I favor plaid "madras" shirts in particular. That said, the Columbia shorts could be a little bit narrower through the leg, but it's a minor issue. In 90+ degree weather, I like my clothes a little on the looser side.