PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@chasingembers Is your pipe wearing dentures?
He's go better teeth than I've ever had.?

They were smoked by doctors back in the 19th century believe it or not
I've read that. From photos I've seen of the really old ones, you couldn't get more anatomically correct unless you used a real skull.

Screenshot_20210719-233948_Samsung Internet.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@chasingembers That is exactly what they guy from 'House of Pipes' used to say. I saw a really good specimen in a shabby case for sale in an open air antique market in London circa 1986 for something in the region of Three Hundred Pounds which at the time would have been sufficient to purchase you a decent second hand Triumph motorbike.
I saw one with an amber stem on ebay go for $700 a few years ago. Still kicking myself for not grabbing it.

Reactions: Charlie718

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Is that yet another non-sitter poker? A pet peeve of mine.

And yes, the lightness is a value, even if they gain weight over time.
Yup a non-sitter, with the amount of stands /holders I have it’s a non-issue. I kinda figured even if it’s base was flat the weight of the stem would tip it over anyway, I just like the way pokers look.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have a bunch of meerschaum 'cutty' pipes with amber stems. It tends to be quite hard and a little bit like glass with the durability of an exploding hand grenade. Drop the pipe even on a shag pile carpet and the amber stem will break. Drop it on a stone floor and assuming the pipe survives the stem will shatter. Unless the pipe is a historic piece I tend to have the stems replaced by Briarville although you had to watch out for Rick since both @weezell and myself have received back 'cutty' pipes with stems that resemble Christmas candy canes!

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Probably not the right thread but these Meers are amazing lol. I never had such a consistent bowl of bayou morning, no matter how often I sipped I could not get it hot or the Perique spicy, it just stayed sweet and figgy. And what a dry smoker, even with the breath and bellows method I couldn’t get moisture build up which for me is a first, I HIGHLY doubt I have the best technique with only 5-6 months of pipe smoking lol