PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Thought I'd start a possible fight, not having anything better to do. Does meerschaum actually color, or is it just the wax? Has anyone ever sliced a meerschaum bowl in half, just to see? My interest is purely academic, since I handle my one meerschaum the same as I do any other pipe and don't care all that much how or whether it colors at all. Still, the question annoys. Anyone want to saw their pipe in half to see? You could always glue it back, afterwards.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I have a fairly inexpensive meer bowl for my falcon. However, I have not smoked it enough to get any color yet. I would be willing to cut/break after it gets some color though... for science!

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I started smoking a couple meers back in the spring. I can't answer your question, but I definitely notice coloring that doesn't seem to be from handling (ie inside the lattice on one of them) ...that said, I would love to see the inside of an old, well smoked meer!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 23, 2019
Thought I'd start a possible fight, not having anything better to do. Does meerschaum actually color, or is it just the wax? Has anyone ever sliced a meerschaum bowl in half, just to see? My interest is purely academic, since I handle my one meerschaum the same as I do any other pipe and don't care all that much how or whether it colors at all. Still, the question annoys. Anyone want to saw their pipe in half to see? You could always glue it back, afterwards.

Google is your friend.

Someone has already done that on here.

*the Search function is your friend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like my one Meerschaum for reasons other than coloring -- the definition of taste it offers. For coloration that is gradual, surprisingly even, and eventually sometimes quite convincing with its depth and resonance with no use of polishes, waxes or anything, I like unfinished briar pipes. For some years it's just kind of matte and slowly darkening, but then it can really bloom. Meerschaum is sometimes charming, but with some it just looks stained or dirty.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I like my one Meerschaum for reasons other than coloring -- the definition of taste it offers. For coloration that is gradual, surprisingly even, and eventually sometimes quite convincing with its depth and resonance with no use of polishes, waxes or anything, I like unfinished briar pipes. For some years it's just kind of matte and slowly darkening, but then it can really bloom. Meerschaum is sometimes charming, but with some it just looks stained or dirty.
That's sort of how I feel about my Peterson African meer with aboriginal finish. It's become a dark ash gray along the ridge lines while showing patches of gold-started white many years ago.

Reactions: Chasing Embers