PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
This is a estate I got off eBay needs a new stem as this one is crooked.
If??the stem is decent and can be realigned, I use these as shims to align the stem. Put them on one by one untill it lines up and trim down. Just a thought...
xlIbrnn.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
For those of you that have amber stems, how fragile are they?
I love the look of amber stems, but as Simon (@condorlover) said, they can be extremely fragile, and a real pain to maintain if you plan on smoking the pipe regularly.

I have posted pics of the ox-blood stained, amber-stemmed meer I received recently. I very slowly and carefully unscrewed the stem to examine and clean the shank/mortise, and a small shard of the stem flaked off. Thankfully I was able to repair with CA glue and the repair is barely noticeable. I store it either in its case or a darkened cupboard.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
How fast do Meers start to develop color and does storing them on the side cause it to color on the side that it’s laying on first? I think I’m starting to see a little yellow in the carved out sections along the shank and mostly on the side I had it laying on in its case. Can anyone tell if that’s the pipe developing a patina or just the wax starting to heat up and turn yellow?FE3248A0-6FD7-45F4-9097-058B0F87586A.jpeg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
How fast do Meers start to develop color and does storing them on the side cause it to color on the side that it’s laying on first? I think I’m starting to see a little yellow in the carved out sections along the shank and mostly on the side I had it laying on in its case. Can anyone tell if that’s the pipe developing a patina or just the wax starting to heat up and turn yellow?View attachment 89266
Hard to say. When mine first started coloring, the color was a pale rosy pink before turning more tan.

Reactions: Charlie718

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Gotcha, I also read that the wax helps to create color. Do you guys re-wax them every so often?
Never do, it can just puddle the color of the discolored wax and looks very unsightly. Repeated smoking causes the coloring. Oh, you may notice some discoloring on the rim as the smoke travels from the chamber as well.

20210722_201328.jpg

Reactions: Charlie718