PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wonder what the odds are they would sell the blends to another blender to keep the legacy alive. It's a shame they might be gone for good.
Zero. Mike McNeil had said more than once that they wouldn't sell their company because they didn't believe that anyone else could ensure the quality of their blends, particularly the quality of the Virginias that they sourced. They didn't train anyone to take over for that reason. They certainly wouldn't sell the blends to another company. As I've been told, there were offers for their company and they refused to consider them. So there was always going to be an end to McClelland.

gentlytamped

Lurker
Aug 20, 2017
Hungary
Sad.. really sad.. me being a virginia lover living in Hungary I only just got into their stuff the last half year and I will truly miss them. I guess I'll pick up some favorites from them until there is some.. we are really the last ones of a dying breed are we? :(

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
well being in Europe I have never tried any of there blends so therefore wont miss any of there blends but it is always sad to see a brand go away.

I Fully understand why though and wish them a happy and long retirement

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for the update Dan, I think we all knew it was coming but it's a kind of relief to know for certain what the situation is sad though it is.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how big an operation McClelland's Tobacco was? I can't imagine it was Mike and Mary beavering away in their back kitchen with sacks of tobacco and a set of scales. I'm assuming it was a large factory with many employees (let's not forget them!) and a large amount of machinery.
Anyone got any knowledge on this?
Regards,
Jay.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Mike and Mary are awesome (someone said earlier generous to a fault). I know their employees were informed well before us and were taken care of.

Some of the machinery was sold, some was given away, and some destroyed (with that process continuing on). I’m bummed that we never got to see the factory running...I was hopeful for an oompa lumpa siting or two.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
No idea on the size of McClelland staff, but it may be a lot smaller than you think. I toured the Sutliff factory several years ago...and despite tinning their own blends (and supply many others), they put out a ton of product with a shockingly small staff.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Not the best news for sure. I have a few tins still unopened and it will obviously be a privilege to try this brand. One would think it's somewhat normal some companies close the door but after Dunhill's and now McClelland's sunset it's hard to believe in a sunny future of pipe tobacco.

Grow, grow, grow... Since all of this wavering collapsing of companies started, it has shown me how futile it is to continue gathering more pipes, when it's the tobacco that is more fragile. Others must have come to this conclusion as well, as all of the reds disappeared from the shelves... heck, even tins with red in the name.... or even red ink on the label have disappeared. I have a feeling that when the stampede has passed, our choices will be a few lonely tins of Sutliff left on the shelves.
Sooo, I'm off to transfer the seedlings to their new planters. :puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I’m bummed that we never got to see the factory running..."
I searched YouTube for anything regarding their factory but found nothing. Pretty much all other manufacturers are covered but not McClelland for some reason.
I wonder if anyone has their own homemade video of the plant? If so it would be a delight to see.
Regards,
Jay.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
McClelland factory was a G14 classified operation! No one could get in without prior notice and security clearance!!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The McClellands plant was like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Nobody ever saw the insides of it. Well, some people did, but they were sworn to secrecy. Rumor has it that one person tried to sneak a video of the place, but they were later found pressed, aged and neatly sliced into a series of five pound bags.
I'm just wondering what those poor Oompah-Loompahs are going to do for a living now.
willy_wonka_and_the_chocolate_factory_gene_wilder.jpg

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Hopefully the recent and prevailing frenzy to purchase their products will help to propel them into a prosperous and happy retirement.

They will be missed.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
This is disheartening for me.. I just started smoking a pipe and already my favorite blenders are closing up. I had just stocked up on some Dunhill and I'm out of pocket to catch whatever McC blends I want. I have maybe 6 tins of theirs in my cellar along with a little bulk. Sad times indeed. I'll have to hold on to those tins and only crack them for special occasions lol.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Mike didn’t want any videos of his process...I asked a few times and as recently as January to film or even have him film the layout.
He did want to share these videos to quell some of the questions regarding tobacco leaf and he processes surrounding how leaf is harvested.

I’ll share exactly what he said - and if you’ve already watched...watch again

Status
Not open for further replies.