PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Sad news indeed. According to SP, stats indicate that McClellands comprise about 25% of my tobacco orders.
I wish Mike and Mary all the best. :worship:

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
I know it must be a very sad time for them both. I hope they can look back and be proud of what they accomplished. They've brought us many years of happiness. I wish them nothing but the best in their time ahead.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
They earned their retirement. Mary is 70+ and Mike is 60+ with a very recent back surgery in his past. Mike is fanatical about how he wanted to make his product and thus never trained anybody to follow him so selling the company was never an option. The Company was doing extremely well profit wise but with Mike's recent surgery they decided to call it a day.

Mar 29, 2016
Woodsroad, thank you for the factual information. I'll miss McClelland for their nonpareil Virginias, Va/Pers and Orientals. Nothing lasts for ever, it's the way life goes. Happy and fun retirement to the creators of McClelland tobaccos, your know-how and talent brought class and elegance to our hobby.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
This isn’t surprising as all the evidence was pointing in this direction. Thank you Mike and Mary, your creations are truly a blessing!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Sad to hear. McClelland was a great company by great people. For me Holiday Spirit has been a Christmas season staple. Always order a tin from SmokingPipes on Black Friday. It’s as much of a part of the holiday season for me as the Rankin/Bass specials. Just placed an order of 10 more tins to keep the tradition alive for some time to come. Best of wishes for Mike and Mary with everything they do going forward. Your wonderful blends will be greatly missed. Thank you for all you’ve given the pipe community over the years.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Not to doubt the OP but I got confirmation from what I heard in early December by my long time pipe buddy Tad Gage via the facebook group The Gentleman's Pipe Society. Tad is the 3 Oaks blender. Cut n Pasted with Tads permission.

8O
"Btw, since this is the pipe site of consequence....I just had a long talk with my buddy of 30 years, Mike McNiel. They are tired. They have had a great run. There will be no more McClelland tobacco. They have exhausted their stock, for the most part, and (good for them), they are out of tins, labels, and most of their tobacco. So they are not stuck holding the bag on anything. Whatever is out there is what it is. I don't think Mike or Mary will contradict me. Whatever you find out there will be the last. Now, I have to figure out what to talk with Mike and Mary about besides tobacco, because they are dear friends. Maybe fishing? what I consider the place to go for pipe information group"

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If they run out of labels before they run out of tins, they will sell unlabeled blends at a discount. Sort of a pot luck thing. And it'll be identified online as McMystery.
Or, they might sweep the floor one last time, can it, and call it Match Cumberland. :rofl:

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Well damn.
I guess now is a bad time to be a new pipe smoker and discover Frog Morton one of my favorite blends. :(
Best wishes to the McNiels'. I don't know them from Adam, but they sure can blend some kick butt tobacco.
Is it too early to hope that they sell the blends to another maker?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I wish all the best to Mike and Mary, and hope they enjoy their retirement.
I've known this news was coming since mid January (per a source of mine), but its still very sad. I was hoping the date would be further out, but unfortunately its coming sooner than later. Hopefully, you've had a chance to stock up on your favorite blends, and if not then you better hurry and get what you can. It's amazing how much stock has been depleted from Smoking Pipes just over the past day or so, and same for the other major online retailers. I just ordered 10 more tins of Balkan Blue before it disappears also.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
All the best to the owners. 'Tis indeed sad.
I guess the only 'positive' thing is that, having just recently started the hobby, I never got to try any McClelland blends (though I had a few on my wish lists), so I'm not feeling the pain as much as many here. But I really, really wanted a tin of Old Dog. Blasted CBSA—if they hadn't tried to legally rob me I wouldn't have had to send that one tin of Old Dog back to SPC.

Jan 8, 2013
Ordered some tins tonight, although not nearly the amount I would have liked. And my Navy Cavendish was out of stock :( It's sad news indeed. But everyone should have the right to retire. I wonder what the odds are they would sell the blends to another blender to keep the legacy alive. It's a shame they might be gone for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.