PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabioptrn

Lurker
Jan 6, 2018
Such a pity. In addition to the quality of McClelland blends, it is sad to see a piece of history that goes away: McClelland is an institution among the American blends, they are coveted all over the world, and this will not be an empty space, easily filled. I wish them a beautiful future and thank them for their contribution to the tobacco world.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
Ugh, you're killing me... another one I've not tried. but Dark Cajun sounds awesome.

They will indeed be missed.
I am really surprised they are still in stock! Cajun Dark is sweet, spicy, tangy, and creamy! Cool smoking and easy to pack!

Flavorful but not strong. Medium strength!
3.5 Stars out of 4
Get them! The Ebony is my 2nd Favorite of the line.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
She told my B&M friend that they might become the Esoterica of the U.S.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
So sad. My favorite blends are now gone forever.
Thanks to Mike and Mary for all the great smokes. We will miss them dearly.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
Never tried the line, so cannot say, but you've got 25 10 "Dark" on hand over at SP, so hit it up before it sells out!
Ha...I would snatch them up before gkr1 does. It is a great blend indeed. It is (was) my change of pace smoke...for those days when I did not want a VaPer, an English or a Virginia...and I didn't know what to smoke.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
2v2JK2VSmx3L6Bn.jpg
I raise a pipe of 2025 English Cavendish in honor of Mike and Mary McNiel

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
gkr1

True sleeper is the Royal Cajun Dark! That is a great blend the whole line is!

Never tried the line, so cannot say, but you've got 25 10 "Dark" on hand over at SP, so hit it up before it sells out!

Yeah, you all got me, I ordered three.

I'm officially done, that'll be the last order of McClelland ever for me.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I suppose it was inevitable, but it’s still so very sad. Mary and Mike are two of the finest people, and the quality of their products is simply not surpassed. I suppose it’s a signal for us to buy the remaining blends that we need. There whole thing is part of the nanny state situation that we’re facing. And what will the other blenders do? Will we have to travel to Europe and smuggle tobacco in our luggage? Hire mules? Put the tobacco into condoms and insert into body cavities? What an absolutely unconscionable intrusion of government into the private affairs of honest citizens!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Got 5# of 2010, and 5 tins of each frog and the Cajun dark. That Cajun ebony and Dark are legit.
Sad to see them going out of business, but it's time. I applaud their integrity, too. A clean break is better than them selling out and someone trying to make the blends with lesser leaf.
Hats of to Mike and Mary. Have a wonderful retirement and thank you for everything you did for pipe smoking!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There comes a time in every business owners life when they say enough is enough. Maybe the joy has gone out of the business with all the FDA crap. Maybe it is the status of the tobacco industry and sourcing the right tobacco for the blends they make. The reasons don't really matter, all that matters is they want out and more power to them. Retirement for me has been fun, I hope Mary and Mike enjoy theirs as well.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Well darn. Dunhill, McClelland, and Wessex are my three favorite brands. Guess I'll have to go back to Capt Black. [:)]

Wessex, too? I hadn't heard about that.
Yeah, what? Details?
On topic- Happy retirement, thanks for the amazing blends!

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
It is sad and i t sounds like they will be missed. I can't remember what I have in my cellar that was made by them. I grabbed pound of Old World Classic Cake yesterday. I will have to go look and see.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
That is disappointing for sure. I realized that I have more of their tobacco in my cellar than any other, but it won’t be enough.

They will be missed, but thank you for all the great blends!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Hey, everyone has to retire at some time. Happy retirement Mike And Mary.
Now, let's give a round of applause to Big Brother, also to all his supporters and fanboys. :rofl: :clap:

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Mike said that if we want to speculate and contemplate- what do you think Brian would say to Taylor swift? Mike’s guess is it’d be something about his stupid Minnie shoes. Mine is probably “oh shit” after his snobbish pipe fell from his lips. Anyone else

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Congrats on their retirement; lighting up a pipe full of 3 Oaks Syrian in their honor and in thankfulness for all the wonderful blends they have made!

Status
Not open for further replies.