PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
40th is too good not to smoke. Id rather keep all my McClellands and not have to worry about how Im gonna find more.
There seemed to be a lot of guys buying a lot of tins of blends they haven't tried before
I bought several blends I havnt tried in two's. At least down the road I have a tiny selection of new things to try.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Buncha degenerate profiteering giant D-Bags on this thread. :lol:

When they get up to $200/tin, I'll dump ten of my 40th Anniversary and buy a couple hundred GL Pease tins :puffy:

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Just out walking the dog and saw a guy in the neighborhood smoking a cob on his porch.

Said hello, chatted a bit, and asked him if he was a McClelland smoker.

Didn't know who they were, said he normally was a Capt Black Gold smoker, but now that it was up to over $8 a pouch, he had switched to a "cheap cavendish".
So, first world problems, all I'm saying.

(I'm going to have to leave a care package on this guy's porch soon..)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
said he normally was a Capt Black Gold smoker, but now that it was up to over $8 a pouch, he had switched to a "cheap cavendish".
Poor bastard...maybe he'll at least discover PA some day.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
When I realized what I was smoking, I bought a pile of it.

I did the same thing as Sablebrush. I stocked up immediately on 40th and thus it’s been enlightening for me to watch this unfold. For the first time in my pipe smoking life I am not behind the 8 ball. It’s usually the other way around. It has taught me lesson that many already preach. If you love a blend, make sure to stock up. But I will never be a scalper, it’s all for personal use.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
There's plenty of times when all I want is a no nonsense OTC codger smoke instead of a complex masterpiece blend.

I always have Carter Hall in the house. Prince Albert too. I've recently been enjoying Amphora Original.

And I've enjoyed every Hearth & Home Mid-Town Series that I've tried. Sometimes a simpler old school baccy is just the ticket.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@pipesticks: I agree...but honestly, if my only choice was "CBG or a cheap Cavendish", I'd just give up the pipe and go back to cigars only...but that's just me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There seemed to be a lot of guys buying a lot of tins of blends they haven't tried before, but bought them anyway to get in on the action.
I can but 10 tins of a new blend based on content alone. If it's close to ones I regularly enjoy, there's no chance I won't enjoy it as well. Plus there's free shipping to consider.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
@pipesticks: I agree...but honestly, if my only choice was "CBG or a cheap Cavendish", I'd just give up the pipe and go back to cigars only...but that's just me.

The dude switched to the pipe from cigarettes, and I can only imagine what he was smoking when on the cancer sticks, so I'm glad he's on our team, regardless of what he smokes. I've got plenty to share, I'll drop him off a couple tins of something extra good soon.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Does he know he can get a pound of 1-Q for around $32?
Weird thing....I can smoke Captain Black on occasion but I absolutely HATE 1-Q and everybody seems to love it.

It gives me a strange chemical taste. On the other hand, I think RLP-6 is great stuff when I want an aromatic.

And I love HGL (RLP-6 with latakia added). Good stuff when I'm in that rare mood for it.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I got no 40th. I hadn't tried quite a bit of stuff from them. I'm more of a burly than Virginia guy. I have a few tins in the cellar from them. I bought a pound of Classic Old World Cake when I heard they were closing. I'm sure I will be able to trade for some of them if I fall in love with anything I try.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Being new to the game, I bought one can of 40th back in December with plans to age it. When the stuff sold out at SP, and came back in stock. I panicked, opened my tin, loved it from first puff, and bought a few more. Makes me kind of sick thinking that tobacco could be a type of currency and the price a month later is through the roof. I'd pay double for it, but know way what it is going for. I don't think I could part with my own. Life's to short and you never know what will happen next.

Oct 7, 2016
Anybody know what Franco Coppo's business succession plans are? His wife is Carlo Scotti's daughter, it is a family business and I have never heard of any younger family members involved in the Castello operation.
I have maybe 15 or so tins of 40th, but more Castellos. A man can dream, can't he?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I seem to recall someone here saying recently that tobacco could never be considered an investment.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Well... might as well jump on the bandwagon.
I’ve got a sealed tin of 40th anniversary for $100 if anybody wants it. Or trade it for a sack of Zance.

Status
Not open for further replies.