PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
5star
Well darn. I have just a few tins of 40th. I had planned to open one and put some age on the others, which I also intended to smoke myself. But at $ 150 for a tin that becomes more problematic. It's as though my supply of smoking tobacco is actually getting smaller.
Crack one and smoke some! Problem solved!! Seriously, you won't think of selling it afterwards. =D

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I bought 20 tins of 40th when they were released. I've yet to finish the first tin, and traded one for a tin of Deep Hollow. I'm set for a number of years with that one. Collectively, I have around 180 McClelland tins, and most will likely outlive me.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I bought a bunch of 40th for my own needs, but anything over $100 will induce me to let some go . I bought some more Motzek yesterday at far cheaper prices than McC 40. I will happily trade 40th for more Motzek Strang .

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
There are no doubt some people / shops sitting on plenty of 40th (in the hundreds of tins) ....everyone on the forums, and social media show modest stashes.... Perhaps the biggest I have seen is around 40tins.... Generally most people are holding less than 10. Every time SmokingPipes sold out since Novemeber, the following restock in the inventory was over 1000 tins, with the last restock in February was over 2000 tins. And this is just SmokingPipes.... Other retailers also had good allocations.
The other interesting thing is that we were never quite sure whether the previous sellouts of inventory (back in November / December / January) was the last available 40th. Those previous stock sellouts never saw the same level of fever, discussion and hype as the current sellout when we knew the company had shut doors. We humans are interesting....

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Hey pilotage... are the buyers US domiciles?? I’ve noticed most of the auctions are US only .

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
@pilot16 - you was robbed !
Just kidding ! Who knows where the price will eventually settle

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
I’m not trying to be a scalper but the credit card is to high from my TAD cellar purchases. I’m saving a few tins for myself.

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
All US buyers, I don’t sell international. I’m not an eBay pro so trying to keep it simple so I don’t get burned.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hey pilotage... are the buyers US domiciles?? I’ve noticed most of the auctions are US only
It would be interesting to know what McClelland's world popularity is. Was it primarily a US phenomenon?

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Well, I definitely hope that later in the year more comes available.
(Never say 'never' )

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
Another guy who ships international just sold a tin of 40th for $135, who knows what the price will be in 5 years. I only started with 16 tins, I know a guy who is sitting on 200 tins of 40th.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
If I had plenty, I wouldn't think twice of selling off 1/10th of my stash........ at these prices it would make the remaining tins free......... :puffy:

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I'm sitting at about 9.5lbs of McC (various sorts).

If 2lbs will pay for the other 7.5lb, I'm totally game.
My biggest concern, however, would be that my palate is going to change and I'll end up selling off something I might wish I had later.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I don't know how many tins were sold in the recent McClelland feeding frenzy, when product was still in stores, but there were 100's of tins of most blends on SP alone, and 1000's of tins of at least several other McClelland blends sold in the last couple of weeks. No crystal ball here, but my guess is that prices will settle down quite a bit sooner or later. There seemed to be a lot of guys buying a lot of tins of blends they haven't tried before, but bought them anyway to get in on the action. I don't think there is that short of a supply to support these price levels for long...or not.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Some may not feel the need to sell. It is one thing to sell a tin for hundreds of dollars, and another knowing you have hundreds of those tins that no one can touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.