PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Is this tobacco going to be sold past 2017 ??

According to The Country Squire Radio Show, they say that the McNiel's plan on keeping this around for as long as they have access to this particular leaf. I don't imagine that will be very long but it will hang around a bit longer than the Christmas Cheers (I hope). I'm still waiting for my Christmas bonus to stock up on a few more tins but with my luck, you punks will buy it all up before I have a chance to get to it. :crying:

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
One guy says it's not going to be Made every year and another claims to have talked to Mary and she said in chicago it will be made every year

danno44

Lurker
Jan 4, 2017
I was at the Chicago Show when it was asked if this was a one time run or ongoing, and the answer was the plan is ongoing and Mary used a term like “legacy blend” or something similar. I will have to check with the other gentleman I was with to get the proper phrasing. But it was clear her reply was via a “legal” type answer to cover her bases. I could be mistaken however especially after reading pipestuds reply.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Thanks pipestud: I was thinking so. Had to get some more today, I figure I should grab some before this batch disappears. I don’t know if there is any more after this batch is gone. If it is like CC, this may be available for another year until the specific tobaccos run out, like hawky said.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've been tempted to spend another $165.00 for 10 more tins. Whatever the story is on the availability of this tobacco, the effect of the antis is only going to grow stronger, and we are just beginning to feel its effects. If Christmas Cheer wasn't such a fine tobacco, its absence would not be felt so strongly. The 40th is an allied product and from what I read even better.
I've already spent $300.00 for 16 tins, which is double what I planned to spend. The pipe smoker says oh! yes, but the budgeteer says no.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have 14 tins 2016 CC and 15 tins 2017 CC left, so I completely understand. Reminds me of when Mephisto went extinct. Hadn't the foresight to buy more, now wishing I had.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think overly hopeful thinking is part of the eval of MC's statement that they plan to continue making the 40th for years.
Let's assume that this means five years and that they need 25 bales per year, so that's 125 bales in their warehouse right now. Maybe. But what if they meant that that indefinite time is 10 years; that's 250 bales, the point of which is that we really don't know what they meant. And given all the back and forth above, I wonder what the motive for that statement was.
To affirm their strength in the face of may turn out to be impending conditions that will shut them down or at best continue at half-mast?

To somehow strengthen their image with their customers for withdrawing CC? This is roughly the same product, red VA sweated and aged before tinning. Why can they get the tobacco now and into future for the 40th when they can't get it for CC?
I think MC knows what business conditions will make the 40th and CC profitable but we don't and in the middle of this MC doesn't quite know what they're going to do given that they don't know what conditions will in their future prevail.
As regards the failure to produce 5100 I can't help but think it a fallout from the anti environment. 5100 is the quintessential MC product. Affordable, quality VA. It makes no sense to say that a growing region providing enough tobacco for 500-1000? bales of tobacco for one year of 5100 suddenly can no longer do so. Maybe so, but I think more likely given current conditions MC decided to put their capital elsewhere. Whether this is in response to the anti environment is unknown, but we do know the that condition is in play.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Let's assume that this means five years and that they need 25 bales per year, so that's 125 bales in their warehouse right now. Maybe. But what if they meant that that indefinite time is 10 years; that's 250 bales, the point of which is that we really don't know what they meant.
At this point, it's immaterial. Unless the FDA Deeming Rules are changed by Congress, it all comes to an end 8/8/2021, unless McClelland is willing to pony up the money to pay for the deeming process.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I just called mcclelland.....they planning on having this tobacco for years to come. It's not going anywhere anytime soon - weedsnagger
I just love having a little fun. I'd prefer to stick with my original "guess" because I think it's a pretty solid one. :wink:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Okay, I'm going to crawfish a little and say 40th Anniversary will be gone when that unbelievably good crop of red they snagged runs out. (Nothing like tossin' in a qualifier as an escape route, I always say).
Pipestud

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
How many bales of 1000? or 2000? lbs did they buy for the tobacco for the 40th? To produce their 121? blends, what smokingpipes carries, they must have a warehouse of unbelievable size. Too see such a thriving business in jeopardy must be heart-breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.