PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Also, I am skeptical about them receiving only one email opposing it. The last time I emailed my so called representative opposing a tobacco tax, I received a thank you email back for my support of the new proposed tax. They didn't even read it or the intern that did didn't understand the word oppose.
In my email, I did mention my wife's position, (thanked them for their service, etc.) so perhaps they felt a little more open. Could be BS as well. I'll monitor the committee.

If it moves forward, you can submit testimony against, now done via Zoom...anyone?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm five miles from WV, and 10 from PA and Boswells, not an issue for me (and I work in VA all the time, just visited JB Hayes in VA yesterday). But, I'm lucky.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A little bit of good news, both House and Senate bills are hung up in their respective bodies.
They've each been heard, and assigned to a 2nd committee. They haven't advanced since.

Even better, my wife heard from the big dog of Maryland lobbyists, Bruce Beareano (if you watch the documentary on Frank Zappa,he's with Bruce in the 80's for a Maryland hearing). Bruce wrote opposition letters to both committees representing some Maryland commerce group. He carries a big stick, so we'll have to stay tuned.

Bruce was also the champion and best friend of former Governor Marvin Mandel, probably the most famous of pipe-smoking US politicians. So, he gets pipe smokers!

Last edited:

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
My current location already has a flavored tobacco legislation. Be aware, I tried to order the " tobacco of the week " from a well known online supplier, and it was flagged as not able to ship. Not because it actually had a casing etc. I think it was because there was the "key words" "The flavor and body are astoundingly stout" as part of the description and it got flagged electronically. The tobacco in question was the Warhorse bar.

Reactions: Servant King
If there is any tobacco that is flavored, War Horse is the most flavored. When I placed my order when it was first released the box wreaked of the aroma, and even the postman said it was smelling up his truck. The smell has dissipated some, but it still is overwhelmingly flavored.

I believe they said it was also supposed to have belladonna and valerian root. But, I'm not sure those made the final cut when they remade it.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
If there is any tobacco that is flavored, War Horse is the most flavored. When I placed my order when it was first released the box wreaked of the aroma, and even the postman said it was smelling up his truck. The smell has dissipated some, but it still is overwhelmingly flavored.

I believe they said it was also supposed to have belladonna and valerian root. But, I'm not sure those made the final cut when they remade it.
I was going off the description which has it listed as a non-aro made Burley, DFK, and VA. Am almost glad it got flagged now...

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I was going off the description which has it listed as a non-aro made Burley, DFK, and VA. Am almost glad it got flagged now...
I like to smoke War Horse occasionally, but I always wonder whether I am getting a huge nic hit or if I am getting some other sort of chemical poisoning. I smoke heavy hitters before bed, and when I smoke War Horse, I wake up with a huge head ache and hang over feeling.

The last time I smoked it, my daughter banged on my door asking me if I was burning old shoes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's all the fault of the flavorless tobacco lobby. That's a cash crop in Maryland.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Damn, Massachusetts passes a law to stop all 22 of their pipe smokers. The kids are all safe now. puffy
Kind of seems like mixed messaging. Where is one of those anti-bullying campaigns my kids heard about all through school when there are 22 of us obviously in need of 1. Maybe it only applies if someone is taking your lunch money...

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Maryland has whacked us with a very steep excise tax making mail orders quite disagreeable. These bills may be DOA (for now) but the slow erosion continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.