PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm guessing Ennerdale is fucked then?

They banned menthol cigarettes over here a while back, to get around this companies started selling these 'flavour cards' that you leave in the packet for an hour to infuse the flavour. I suppose pipe tobacco companies could do something similar.
1611333336200.png

I dread to think what a flavour ban would do to the Gawith range?. Sadly this is just the sort of nanny state nonsense politicians over here would bring in.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Interesting. The California law specifically exempts pipe tobacco. The focus is anti vaping, which I can understand since some of the vaping products contain chemicals that really screw up a person's lungs.

Yeah, that is the hope with the petitions I've seen (and signed) for this, is to add language excepting pipes, pipe tobacco, and premium cigars.

Thanks, @ssjones for keeping us posted with the "insider" info. Do let me know if there are any other petitions, or anything us normal MD residents can contribute to.

Reactions: STP and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, as I was saying, Granger is and has always been unflavored. Some of the blenders occasionally spill a little molasses as they go about their work, but it is not intended nor does it serve as flavoring. Besides which, if this is disputed, they will send that pointer dog on the tub over to tear up Maryland legislator's crotches, so keep that in mind. He's not as pretty as he looks. And that's what he's pointing at..

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There has to be $$$ in it for the state or the legislator. Wonder who is paying for the bill?
Nope, it reduces revenue to the state. It's to Save the Children®!
Yeah, that is the hope with the petitions I've seen (and signed) for this, is to add language excepting pipes, pipe tobacco, and premium cigars.

Thanks, @ssjones for keeping us posted with the "insider" info. Do let me know if there are any other petitions, or anything us normal MD residents can contribute to.
And I find it very interesting in general, Al, esp with the inside track.

Good luck! (Again, WOW! on it being touted as an emergency.)

larryspencer

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2009
West Texas
What a pity, but not surprising as Maryland, and other coastal states seem to be going in this direction. I'm originally from Virginia and with the direction that state is going, I'm sure they'll be next.

Reactions: JOHN72
Why is it that lawmakers can't write a law that just states... "get rid of liquid nicotine vaporizers"? They have all of these huge net laws that seem to always stomp on pipesmoker or cigar guys.

They did the same with the mafia's move to incorporate RYO rolling machine stores into all 50 states to bypass cigarette taxes. The mobsters used pipe tobaccos, so lawmakers instead of banning those huge industrial cigarette injection machines, tried to ban or regulate pipe tobacco.

It's like they can't get anything right.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Why is it that lawmakers can't write a law that just states... "get rid of liquid nicotine vaporizers"? They have all of these huge net laws that seem to always stomp on pipesmoker or cigar guys.

They did the same with the mafia's move to incorporate RYO rolling machine stores into all 50 states to bypass cigarette taxes. The mobsters used pipe tobaccos, so lawmakers instead of banning those huge industrial cigarette injection machines, tried to ban or regulate pipe tobacco.

It's like they can't get anything right.
Exactly why can’t they ban vapes or even just flavored ones? Why extend it to tobacco? Probably because of those flavored gas station cigars

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just like the recent 5,593 page relief bill, which included crap from horse racing to the Dalai Lama. These elected officials tend to stray from important universal matters, to what matters to them... It’s a joke.
It really is. I think that bills should have to be one issue or at least other items related to the same issue. The way it works now is absolutely insane. There can be something called the “Protect Underage Mothers” act that has a provision to allow the hunting of wolves. (Not really, but you see what I mean)

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
It really is. I think that bills should have to be one issue or at least other items related to the same issue. The way it works now is absolutely insane. There can be something called the “Protect Underage Mothers” act that has a provision to allow the hunting of wolves. (Not really, but you see what I mean)
Agree. I have nothing against horse racing or the Dalai Lama, but adding unrelated agendas in a relief package is nonsensical, which is why it takes months to pass a bill that should take days. Equally nonsensical is banning flavored tobacco while legalizing marijuana.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Hey, I know this kind of legislation gets everyone nervous for good reason. My wife works for a Maryland Senator (the third one in 22 years). None of that trio were corrupt OR assholes. Not saying some aren't, but not all. I don't know the Senator or Delegate who sponsored this bill, they represent Baltimore City and PG County. Up here in Washington County, our elected officials think a little differently.

My wife is heading to Annapolis today, I'll have her follow this one. Thousands of bills are filed, most don't make it past the first chamber.
Al, thank you for calming me down about this. We will see how it plays out, but I still don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Just being my cynic self here; I always imagine some politician sitting around thinking "how do I make a name for myself?" "I know, I'll go after a new tobacco bill, besides, smoking is evil and needs to be done away with."

In many states they tax the living s*it out of tobacco, but they do not want to be too successful. The actually need that tax revenue to plug a hole in their ever failing budget.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Not great news from the sponsoring Senator and Representative. They did reply back to my email. They claim they have had numerous emails supporting the bill and one in opposition - mine. So, Maryland residents - voice your opinion. Now what my wife tells me that they would NOT say, is what kind of opposition they would be getting from the lobby for the industry. Right now, it's still in committee and has not been voted on (to move forward). Stay tuned.

Reactions: 3rdguy

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Not great news from the sponsoring Senator and Representative. They did reply back to my email. They claim they have had numerous emails supporting the bill and one in opposition - mine. So, Maryland residents - voice your opinion. Now what my wife tells me that they would NOT say, is what kind of opposition they would be getting from the lobby for the industry. Right now, it's still in committee and has not been voted on (to move forward). Stay tuned.
Only one opposition e-mail, and it just happens to be yours? I find that hard to believe.

Reactions: BROBS

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Only one opposition e-mail, and it just happens to be yours? I find that hard to believe.
My wife actually rec'd several supporting emails thru her office, and her boss isn't even on that committee! I'm sure they wouldn't share everything with me, but not hard to believe. The real power comes from the lobbyist supporting the retailers, hopefully they came to bear arms. My wife says most of the bills in this area never get out of committee and this is a very bad year to introduce frivolous bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.