PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Not thrilled to be a MD resident right now. Last time they tried this we petitioned and then voted it down. Hoping us Marylanders will get on it and kill it again.

This one is indeed particularly radicules, as @jpmcwjr quoted the language could stretch to include tobacco flavored tobacco, anything with a taste, or “discerning flavor”. Maybe they intend to take every tobacco product off the shelves with this. Truly stupid.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hey, I know this kind of legislation gets everyone nervous for good reason. My wife works for a Maryland Senator (the third one in 22 years). None of that trio were corrupt OR assholes. Not saying some aren't, but not all. I don't know the Senator or Delegate who sponsored this bill, they represent Baltimore City and PG County. Up here in Washington County, our elected officials think a little differently.

My wife is heading to Annapolis today, I'll have her follow this one. Thousands of bills are filed, most don't make it past the first chamber.

View attachment 61459
Maryland is a giant, piece of shit nanny state whose corrupt asshole politicians pander to brainless automatons. Did you know there was a rain tax in this state? As in, you're financially responsible for the amount of rain that falls on your property??

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The whisky,the wine,the Rum,this is really crazy.And I'm pretty pessimistic on this subjet.................Tolerance has a limit,but now it's fashionable to be an integral idiot..........:mad:

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I sent the Senator and Delegate an email about the bill. I dropped my wife's name, perhaps that will get a reply. (she gets 1,000's of emails (and at times, 10's of thousands) during the 3 month MD legislative session which just started) I also need to ask her about the Emergency Bill aspect, thats new to me.

If you live in Maryland, do something about this, besides gripe on a pipe forum. The squeaky wheel definitely gets grease. Silence only frustration.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ok, talked to the wife (she's in the car this AM, heading to Annapolis!)
An Emergency Bill takes effect immediately on signing, vs the typical July 1st start date.

She says the Alcohol and Tobacco Retailers association, represented by a good lobbyist (now some of those guys I'm not a fan of...) and they always successfully fight this legislation on behalf of the retailers (and us!). She thinks she knows their lobbyist, and will check.

I'll share as I learn more. Thanks Python for the heads up!

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Years ago when I still lived in Jersey I remember listening to an interview on The Jersey Guys radio show with some typical piece of garbage state senator that wanted to impose a ban flavored vape products that were just starting to become popular. Of course this was all to “protect the children”. Her argument was that they were specially marketed and targeted to children/teens because they came in sweet/candy/chocolate flavors.

I remember the host asking her “so once you become an adult you don’t like candy or chocolate anymore? Do you like chocolate?” There was a long pause “uuuhhhhhmmmm” and she immediately got all flustered and thrown off her game and stammered some lame response. Then they called her out for taking up this phony moral crusade that she didnt really know or care about just make a name for herself.
It was a very Jersey thing for them to do, and I felt a great sense of pride and connection at that moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.