PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not even a short encore?? :)
My taste must be lacking, as when I smoke my favorite blends in either a briar or a meer, they taste the same to me.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well, it's been a long wait, because this new Tekin turned out to not be in stock, so had to be carved first...but it's now supposedly cleared customs and on the way, so should only be maybe a few more days to reach its new home.
img_20190301_093448-600x450.jpg

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Brian, I have that same pipe. It smokes great and is coloring nicely. I’m sure yours will do so as well.
Here’s to it arriving quickly and many happy smokes!
Ren

Reactions: BROBS

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Those are some incredible pipes. I'd love to add to fun but I still am struggling with my photo f*ckit account and I need Dan to down load all that stuff for me.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@Ren: Thanks...and it's good to know you have the same one. It was exactly what I was looking for in another meer.
I have one Tekin that I couldn't be happier with...smokes fantastic and I've been smoking it nearly every day for about the last 6 months now.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ I anticipated you would likely attempt that...so I had them send out some Chinese cob decoys. Enjoy!

• Haha

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Trying to put some color in my meers this MMM..
Orlik DSK in an Altinay

Attachments

• 20200311_155650.jpg
    20200311_155650.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Casual

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
The “project” I started last year continues. I’ve been smoking a claw and egg meer exclusively with a coloring bowl. About 150 smokes in and it continues to color evenly but slowly. It’s a light brown now. At this rate it’d be thousands of bowls to be that very dark brown of vintage pipes.

Reactions: lightmybriar

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
The “project” I started last year continues. I’ve been smoking a claw and egg meer exclusively with a coloring bowl. About 150 smokes in and it continues to color evenly but slowly. It’s a light brown now. At this rate it’d be thousands of bowls to be that very dark brown of vintage pipes.

I don't know if this is considered "cheating" in the Meerschaum World, but I started to color my Meers by placing them inside a Ball jar and blowing smoke into them. I seem to do this more during the Summer. No real reason. I drilled a hole in the lid of the Ball jar and ran a short piece of rubber tubing into the jar. I put my Meer(s) inside the jar, screw on the lid and then light up a pipe. When I exhale, I blow the smoke into the sealed Ball jar and it surrounds the Meer. When I smoke the Meers, I am starting to use a coloring bowl so that it penetrates both ways, surface (in the Ball) jar and traditionally with the coloring bowl. Sometimes, I just smoke 'em regularAli Meer Lions Head.jpg too.

Reactions: marlinspike

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Not sure how you could "blow smoke" into a SEALED mason jar...

OK, I understand the fault in my statement (Ha Ha), but what I was trying to explain was that by modifying the Ball/Mason jar by drilling the hole in the lid, I can PARTIALLY seal the jar so that when I exhale my pipe smoke into the PARTIALLY sealed jar, the smoke surrounds the Meer pipe resting inside the PARTIALLY sealed jar and thereby coloring the outside of the Meer pipe. It works better than just blowing the smoke into the jar without the lid on it.....

Reactions: jhowell

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I don't know if this is considered "cheating" in the Meerschaum World, but I started to color my Meers by placing them inside a Ball jar and blowing smoke into them. I seem to do this more during the Summer. No real reason. I drilled a hole in the lid of the Ball jar and ran a short piece of rubber tubing into the jar. I put my Meer(s) inside the jar, screw on the lid and then light up a pipe. When I exhale, I blow the smoke into the sealed Ball jar and it surrounds the Meer. When I smoke the Meers, I am starting to use a coloring bowl so that it penetrates both ways, surface (in the Ball) jar and traditionally with the coloring bowl. Sometimes, I just smoke 'em regularView attachment 23197 too.
Interesting. Your process and picture definitely show that there are two things that color a meer. A very different type of coloration than the typical fill the bowl and smoke it process. It’s funny the lengths we’ll go to for coloration. Awesome.

My experience with a pipe smoked exclusively with a coloring bowl is that it’s slow, but pretty even coloration.

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Had these for about 2 years the straight pipe coloring is a little disappointing.

Attachments

• 15848430701415554463643619860449.jpg
    15848430701415554463643619860449.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Casual