PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
That's impressive you've actually kept count of all those bowls.
I’ve been using a coloring bowl and keeping track as an experiment. So far it’s coloring slowly but very evenly.
I agree, Baglan’s work is very detailed and his pipes smoke well.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Do they ghost, or are they like cobs: smoke whatever worry not?
I think the only entirely accurate thing to say is that they don't ghost as easily as briars. Some say meers and cobs do ghost...I don't normally notice it.
In theory you can smoke anything in them as often as you like, but depending on your personal sensitivity and taste, you might want to keep the lat blends and/or aros to a certain meer (or meers).
I'm a bit challenged when it comes to identifying all of the nuances of flavor, so I don't notice any ghosting in my meers. But I don't smoke any aros in them either...so it may depend on the blend.
As with all things pipe related, someone else may give a different answer.
I’ve been using a coloring bowl and keeping track as an experiment. So far it’s coloring slowly but very evenly.
It's interesting how some start coloring a lot faster than others...at least that's been my experience.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Is there a price range for quality? Kind of a dollar value that is the dividing line between a decent pipe and a dud? Or is making sure they're made of block Meerschaum all I must worry about?
You guys are perfect enablers, now I really want one! :D

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I would say it's much the same as with briars, in that it all depends on your budget and priorities. If you want just functional, you can probably get a decent "no name" meer for under $100. That also depends on size.
If you'd like something a little nicer, and possibly by a known carver or "Master Carver", there are plenty of those available roughly in the range of $150 to $350 depending on size, design and how elaborate the carving.
A great deal, imo, are some of the AKB meers on SPC. Some of those are carved and signed by Tekin. I have a Tekin that is a superb meer and fantastic smoker.
Here are some worth looking at for sure:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/AKB/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=315524
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/AKB/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=278380
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/AKB/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=315484

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Then there's the IMP line at SPC which is sort of a step up from the AKB (apparently...generally speaking). Some of these are really impressive looking:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/imp-meerschaum/
There's lots on ebay as well.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Thanks, Brian!
I was looking at the Meerschaum Market web site (anyone ordered from there?) and I can see what a difference in price it makes for the pipe to be carved by a master.
Well, I've about a month to decide on one.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Clean hands if you must. But, if the beauty of a naturally colored meer is what you are seeking, handling a warm bowl with a cotton handkerchief or gloves is my suggestion. Better yet, keep your "crotch scratchers" on the stem and off the meerschaum. It all depends on what you wish from the pipe. But, I can only speak from fifty years plus of meer smoking.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I was looking at the Meerschaum Market web site (anyone ordered from there?) and I can see what a difference in price it makes for the pipe to be carved by a master.
Yeah meerschaum market is a great site. I have not yet made a purchase there, but I've looked it over quite a bit. They've got a list of master carvers, and a lot of IMP meers that are just fabulous.
I try not to look at all the various meer sales points too often because it's so tempting.
Regarding the handling issue, as with so many other things pipe related, it's strictly a personal preference. And by all means, if one is of the mindset to handle it as carefully as Warren described in an effort to eliminate any interference in the coloring process, that is commendable. But it's certainly not mandatory.
A lot of people are under the impression that meers must be handled that way so they just don't want to deal with it. Honestly, if I had to handle my meers like that I probably wouldn't have any. I'm not that patient and I'm just not that concerned with how they look.
After a sufficient number of years have gone by I'll see how the coloring looks...until then I'll continue to handle them just like my briars. In fact they're lower maintenance than briars imo. That's one of the things I like about them.
EDIT: the only thing I do differently than with the briars is wipe them off gently with a cotton cloth after I'm finished smoking.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
MMM is all year long for me!

I have about four meerschaum pipes in rotation along with my briar pipes.

I feel that some of my pipe tobacco blends/brands. Just taste better in my meerschaum pipes. and others taste better in a briar pipe.

I can't explain it very well; But one example is G.L. Pease "Gaslight" I love how it tastes in my meerschaum pipes but find in distasteful in my briar pipes :?
On a side note I was watching a recent Bremen Pipe Smoker youtube vid and he was talking about a new meerschaum pipe manufacture called "Black Meerschaum pipes" started by a friend of his.

Here is the video link black meerchaum pipes

he is discussing the pipes a 16:00

Are any of you aware of this Meerschaum pipe manufacture?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The interesting question here is did you buy the figurine pipe and then grow the beard or the other way round? Was it one of those eureka moments when you said 'Dude! That guy looks just like me if a wrapped a bathroom roller towel around my head and then set the top on fire!'. On a serious note thats a very nice looking pipe that looks to be coloring very well. As to March Meerschaum whatever day, every day is Meerschaum Madness day for me and I don't even need the pipe to hit the correct level of madness!! - Condorlover
I started smoking pipes in 1972. The meerschaum in the photo was given to me as a Christmas present from my wife in 1984. It was my first meer.
Olkofri - I have bought a couple of Servi meerschaums from Meerschaum Market. Servi is not as big of a name as some other carvers, but both of the pipes I have are good.
Yesterday I smoked a Servi meerschaum churchwarden in fact.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I have written Black Meerschaum on Instagram, as that company posts frequently on there. The pipes look pretty cool!