PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
Unfortunately, I have such a small stash I can remember it. If my memory starts to fail me in this endeavor, a piece of paper will suffice. ?

I just arrange the tins by colors, in the rainbow spectrum, and the stuff in jars I have arranged by the Greek alphabet, which only makes sense to my cat.

I did go through a phase where I removed all of the labels and jumbled up the jars, so that each pipe would be a surprise.

Ha ha, no, I did used to use the iPhone APP Pipe Tool, but when the creator of that just left the APP to die, and iPhones stopped reading the APP, I wasn't going to get shanked like that again. I just decided who cares. I mean is it life or death of you run out of something? Is it some sort of contest? Just smoke the shit. I'm not about to spend precious time inventorying boxes of tobaccos stacked to the ceiling in a dedicated room, and what would the point be?
I know that I have about 400 lbs, because by the time that the Pipe Tool APP died, I had just a hair over 200lbs, and now the amount of jars and tins takes up way more than twice that space. If someone wants to come over here and have a dick measuring contest to see who has more, have at it. Inventory my shit for me. Ha ha. At this point, if I run out of... say... PS LTF, then bye bye... I have plenty of other blends to choose from. At my age, when it's gone I won't remember it anymore anyways. puffy

BTW, if your wife gets hold of an inventory, and you go through a divorce, it can be used as a negotiation tool against you in court. "You want to keep more than half the house, well then give up your tobaccos. Here is the inventory submitted to the court." It has happened in many other hobbies, guns, wine cellars, etc... never keep a damn inventory where your wife can get it. You may be all lovey dovey now, but the moment it becomes profitable to screw you to the damn wall, it can and has happened to the best of us.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Umm, like, why don't you guys just use a sharpie and write some stuff on the bottom of the can and then play treasure hunt in your cellars once in a while? Maybe even go the whole nine and organize it alphabetically.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I manage my tobacco cellar by stuffing it all on a few different shelves in a couple different places then grabbing a new tin or jar whenever I'm ready for one. I have plenty of chores already and have no desire to add any tobacco inventory chores to my list. I know some of you all might enjoy keeping track of it, and that's cool, but I wouldn't.

I don't smoke all that many different blends regularly, so I just divide them up by genre and stash them in one of the handful of spots that I use. If I could only have a few latakia blends, a few Virginia blends, a few aromatics, and a couple of burley blends, that's all I would need. Really, that's already a pretty accurate description of my little cellar.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Mine’s just a bunch of jars, and about a dozen tins in a cabinet under a bookshelf. I tried the pipe tool, and entered all my stock...and then never updated it afterwards. I keep the jars labeled and dated, but really I’m not too worried about keeping track of things. At last count I had 73 blends, and I thought, “Jesus.” So I don’t count anymore.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I’m in the scattered about the house category. Way back when, I inventoried everything on a sheet of notebook paper and left it on the top of the plastic storage box. (That was my first box.) Then I admittedly lost control as the tins and boxes grew over the years.
I have the desire to make an inventory, but it’s not a priority. I also like the surprise of finding things that got stashed.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I use thepipetool.com and a Google spreadsheet. It's overkill but if one goes down I'll have the other. Also, each tool offers different functionality that I appreciate. I like, for example, that on the pipe tool I can "open" a tin and it stays in my inventory until I've smoked it all the way. On Google, I set up conditional formatting so that blends would change to a certain color when I had enough of it in stock or a different color when it was time to order more.

Reactions: Jwebb90

PipesRock

Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I got shit spread all over the place including stuff I dumped on Weezell although its usually jars. I have a cupboard full of unopened tins. Spread sheets would only confuse my tiny little brain further.
Or make you angry, lol, like already happened to me and I only have 50ish pounds. I was fuming for 30 min or more because my spreadsheet indicated I had Skiff Mixture but darned if I could find. Finally found it "last place I looked" and "out of place" so "somebody" moved it! :oops:

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I use thepipetool.com and a Google spreadsheet. It's overkill but if one goes down I'll have the other. Also, each tool offers different functionality that I appreciate. I like, for example, that on the pipe tool I can "open" a tin and it stays in my inventory until I've smoked it all the way. On Google, I set up conditional formatting so that blends would change to a certain color when I had enough of it in stock or a different color when it was time to order more.
You can also export an excel spreadsheet of your cellar from the Pipe Tool. It would be a good idea to do this after making major updates to your cellar, and by doing this you always have that back up.

Reactions: litup and PipesRock

PipesRock

Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Would that not be solved by synching the phone with your computer?
That's essentially what I'm doing while using the Network Attached Storage spreadsheet instead of an app store application that frequently demand rights upon install to access my data, email, etc... when the app has nothing to do with those components.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I don't track anything. I have a general idea what I have, and keep some of the older stuff in a bin that I often forget I even have. When I'm adding something to it, I'll occasionally look over the tins and jars, and pull something I forgot I had. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.