PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
Legal pad, ruler, pen, and job done. Add a hook to the bookcase and a clipboard for the legal pad and my inventory is always with my tobacco. No computer needed and it will never crash or be lost from the interwebs.

Cheers,

Chili

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I tried a couple applications and just settled on an .excel spreadsheet. It’s so much easier than anything else I found.

Reactions: Gecko
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I created a rather simple spread sheet. First page is totals. I then added a tab for each tote and numbered the tote to correlatr to the tab. In the totals tab, I put in a simple formula for each blend to get the total tins from the totes. When I add or take a tin from a tote, I update it in the tote tab. That in turn updates the totals. That sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
So where does someone like me, who isn’t going to build their own spreadsheet, go to track this stuff? Well, tobaccocellar .com of course, right?

Wrong. This site is, let’s face it, a disaster. It’s very cool for 2003. No offense to the guy who takes the time to maintain it but seriously. Tried to search on here, didn’t get anywhere.

I use tobaccocellar and have found it quite helpful. I'm thankful for this tool and refer to it often.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I went through all the hoops and gizmos to accurately complete my list, then the software updated. Lost it all.

since I’m essentially out of the buying game I just consume and eliminate my cellar. I’ve lost all interest in tracking its decline. I’ll be long dead before my cellar is. That’s proper planning.

B_Rock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
Since I’ve gotten back into pipe smoking last March, I use a Google spreadsheet to track pipes, dates and blends smoked on one sheet, and tobacco including dates received & dated opened. Of course its easy to track 12 pipes and about 25 different tobacco blends. Some of the cellars posted on this forum would need a team from Price, Waterhouse & Cooper to account for it all!

Reactions: LOREN

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I use tobaccocellar. I find it very easy to navigate and back up. I like when there is a drop I can access it anywhere anytime.
☝️same. I don't have any problems navigating and updating my cellar. I haven't found anything better for keeping track of things and I actually think it fills the need quite well.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I don't keep track of anything............. I like surprises. I love it when I'm looking for something non tobacco related and BAM!- find a tin of Murray's Erinmore Flake, or a 2005 Christmas Cheer...........
Kind of like finding a $100 bill in that sportcoat pocket that you haven't worn in 3 years............ I wouldn't have it any other way! Yes, I've got squirreled away all over the damned house!!....... :)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I want to know what cigarmaster does. I expect he needs a full staff to track that stash of his.

Guess again. He's got crap scattered all over the place. He's probably got two to three times what he needs so he doesn't think about it. Just because he appears to be a control freak prick some of the time doesn't mean he's organized.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I don't keep track of anything............. I like surprises. I love it when I'm looking for something non tobacco related and BAM!- find a tin of Murray's Erinmore Flake, or a 2005 Christmas Cheer...........
Kind of like finding a $100 bill in that sportcoat pocket that you haven't worn in 3 years............ I wouldn't have it any other way! Yes, I've got squirreled away all over the damned house!!....... :)

Hah that's good, when I got my driving license 20 years ago my father told me to hide a 20 euro note in my wallet for any emergency, which I did. I found it recently and figured out it is out of circulation, had to take it to a bank to get a new one ;)

As for managing my drawer, I keep a simple Excel spreadsheet, more interested in my notes and reviews though than what tobacco I actually have, don't have enough to need a spreadsheet as all my stash fits in a single cabinet drawer.

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
+1 for team spreadsheet here.
I got a simple excel spreadsheet with one tab for opened, one for unopened and one for finished blends. I store the file in the cloud so it´s always available no mater what device I'm on.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I didn't see a need to track my tobacco hoard but now use a simple text file to keep track of what I have (so I manage to smoke some of everything)

A simple text file, broken down by brand, then into blend with approximate weight, serves me very well. I use Apple stuff a lot so I'm able to view the same file on my phone or computers (helps when you are at the B&M). I don't worry too much about keeping the file super accurate and might omit a tin or two sometimes, but it helps overall.

I can't recall the article exactly, but I read something within the past few months which pointed out that a major consideration for 'cellaring' is having a plan to smoke the tobacco you accumulate.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Guess again. He's got crap scattered all over the place. He's probably got two to three times what he needs so he doesn't think about it. Just because he appears to be a control freak prick some of the time doesn't mean he's organized.
He only cellars a handful of blends anyways. He is always copying and pasting that list... great list by the way.
But, if you only have around a dozen tobaccos, it doesn't present too much of a problem. IMO. Just wait till that bin is empty, and reorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.