Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Hi there, gents. Well, I decided to do something very unlike me and actually quantify and better understand my little cellared collection. I was prompted to do this by happily discovering some McClelland blends I didn’t even know I still had. So seemed to make sense.

So where does someone like me, who isn’t going to build their own spreadsheet, go to track this stuff? Well, tobaccocellar .com of course, right?

Wrong. This site is, let’s face it, a disaster. It’s very cool for 2003. No offense to the guy who takes the time to maintain it but seriously. Tried to search on here, didn’t get anywhere. Even went on the App Store. They literally have an app called “Rate my Weed” but nothing I could find for evil tobacco

I thought the braintrust might have some alternative suggestions. So please suggest away. Certainly, in the year of our lord two thousand twenty there has to be a modern, mobile optimized site for this? Certainly?? What are you using?

Thanks in advance.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This one is a bit more updated but I still lost track of my cellar. It’s cool though. I’m working on building one of my own.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
This one is a bit more updated but I still lost track of my cellar. It’s cool though. I’m working on building one of my own.
Thanks, I’ll check it out. Please keep me posted on your progress on your own app. Seems like we should have 2020 tech for this like any other hobby. Let me know how I can help, beta test, whatever.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't call my stash a cellar with a straight face. Tins stack on my pipe cabinet and in my pipe rack, and jars and pouches infest my book shelves. This is no cellar. I so admire people who can do spreadsheets. My last boss wanted me to do spreadsheets. I got as far as Power Points, though I had to do poems on my practice Power Points. Spreadsheets no. I just dig around the clutter and find wonderful things. Where did I put that Royal Yacht? I know wherever it is, it is getting good.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
How are any of these things better than making a simple spreadsheet on you own? Not trying to be condescending here. Just asking because I don't understand the advantages.
It depends on the user really. Some like to keep it all organized by images. The pipe tool also has a calculator gives you graphs and really a lot of extra features.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
A couple of years ago I took the day to input all of my tobacco.......and then I never logged in again. It is a great tool if you take the time to update it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks, I’ll check it out. Please keep me posted on your progress on your own app. Seems like we should have 2020 tech for this like any other hobby. Let me know how I can help, beta test, whatever.
Thanks man but honestly the deeper I get into it the more I realize just how hard it may be to make available to the public. This started out as something I enjoy doing but to make it available to the public would probably require a team or at least two people to keep up with it. Lately I have not had the time. I will keep you posted if I do decide to go through with a beta release. In the meantime @pylorns has created the best pipe tool yet and he did it for free so I give big kudos to him for gifting the community his project. It really is a great tool!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
Hi there, gents. Well, I decided to do something very unlike me and actually quantify and better understand my little cellared collection. I was prompted to do this by happily discovering some McClelland blends I didn’t even know I still had. So seemed to make sense.

So where does someone like me, who isn’t going to build their own spreadsheet, go to track this stuff? Well, tobaccocellar .com of course, right?

Wrong. This site is, let’s face it, a disaster. It’s very cool for 2003. No offense to the guy who takes the time to maintain it but seriously. Tried to search on here, didn’t get anywhere. Even went on the App Store. They literally have an app called “Rate my Weed” but nothing I could find for evil tobacco

I thought the braintrust might have some alternative suggestions. So please suggest away. Certainly, in the year of our lord two thousand twenty there has to be a modern, mobile optimized site for this? Certainly?? What are you using?

Thanks in advance.

I know you said you don’t want to run a spreadsheet, but if you have iPhone Numbers is seriously easy. That is what I have on mine, and I even have it set to conditionally highlight what blends I have open, cellared, or both.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Rather than using an iphone / android app that can/will die right when I get used to it and really start using it and where I'm "their product" I use the simple spreadsheet that comes standard with a Synology NAS box. This way it's "like" the cloud but it's my cloud not Google's or Apples or??? I can access it from any device in my home for updating etc... I export it to an excel spreadsheet as a backup periodically and the export is a couple simple steps. And the data is in my NAS box on my property. But... it's a spreadsheet. :rolleyes:

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I use tobaccocellar. I find it very easy to navigate and back up. I like when there is a drop I can access it anywhere anytime.

Reactions: brandaves
Status
Not open for further replies.