Man, I love Burley. What's Your Favorite?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
A little late to the party, but I'll also throw in my vote for LJ Peretti Blend 333 as a top favorite. Its one of the few tobaccos I buy by the pound. Another recommendation from Peretti's Burley closet is Cuban Mixture. If you want a mild tobacco that has excellent flavor, Cuban Mixture would be at the top of my list. Cornell & Diehl have some excellent Burley Blends such as Pegasus, Briar Fox (who is buying all the Briar Fox?!?!), Burley Flake 1 and 2, Old Joe Krantz, and Haunted Bookshop. And Iforgot to mention Kelly's Coin!

Last edited:
Reactions: redleaderdave

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I still have a lot of burley blends to try, and it's been mention on the first page already (I didn't read the rest of the thread), but Mac Baren HH Burley Flake is my #1 favorite of any type, not just burley, and is a top 5 must-try for anyone exploring burley, in my opinion.

I'm less than impressed by the much beloved Haunted Bookshop and Pegasus, but I absolutely love Old Joe Krantz (the original brown label at least, haven't tried the others).

Savinelli Jupiter is a bit underrated and worth a go if you haven't had it.

And of course, this year's C&D Eight State Burley is amazing, and C&D is 20% on Smoking Pipes currently, so good time to snag some if you haven't yet.

Another favorite of mine is Mac Baren Navy Flake... it's like a burley-based answer to Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, and while I also like the latter, I prefer the former.

redleaderdave

Lurker
Jan 19, 2022
Bridgewater Ma
A little late to the party, but I'll also throw in my vote for LJ Peretti Blend 333 as a top favorite. Its one of the few tobaccos I buy by the pound. Another recommendation from Peretti's Burley closet is Cuban Mixture. If you want a mild tobacco that has excellent flavor, Cuban Mixture would be at the top of my list. Cornell & Diehl have some excellent Burley Blends such as Pegasus, Briar Fox (who is buying all the Briar Fox?!?!), Burley Flake 1 and 2, Old Joe Krantz, and Haunted Bookshop. And Iforgot to mention Kelly's Coin!
Peretti has come up a bit. I've been interested in trying them out, not just for their burleys but for the english styles as well. I live 45min south of boston (depending on traffic) so I've been thinking of driving in some weekend to check them out in person.

• Wow
Reactions: rsshreck32

redleaderdave

Lurker
Jan 19, 2022
Bridgewater Ma
I still have a lot of burley blends to try, and it's been mention on the first page already (I didn't read the rest of the thread), but Mac Baren HH Burley Flake is my #1 favorite of any type, not just burley, and is a top 5 must-try for anyone exploring burley, in my opinion.

I'm less than impressed by the much beloved Haunted Bookshop and Pegasus, but I absolutely love Old Joe Krantz (the original brown label at least, haven't tried the others).

Savinelli Jupiter is a bit underrated and worth a go if you haven't had it.

And of course, this year's C&D Eight State Burley is amazing, and C&D is 20% on Smoking Pipes currently, so good time to snag some if you haven't yet.

Another favorite of mine is Mac Baren Navy Flake... it's like a burley-based answer to Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, and while I also like the latter, I prefer the former.
Thanks for the recommendations. I really like Pegasus but I don't have the same love for Haunted. the Original Old Joe is great too. I have an open tin of the '22 Eight state the I'm currently enjoying and I have two tins of the '24 eight state that I have yet to open.

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
Peretti has come up a bit. I've been interested in trying them out, not just for their burleys but for the english styles as well. I live 45min south of boston (depending on traffic) so I've been thinking of driving in some weekend to check them out in person.
Yes, you absolutely have to go there! Not only is the tobacco top notch, but the guys at the shop are great too.

Reactions: RL Bucktails

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Pegasus is at the top of my burley heap

Savinelli Brunello Flake, while much more than a burley, is very much a burley-forward blend for me, and I smoke it more than any other blend.

Mac Baren Navy Flake is divine, and again, a very consistent and enjoyable VaBur.

Have you tried any of the burley blends from Uhle's or LJ Peretti? You might put those on your list as well.