Man, I love Burley. What's Your Favorite?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
2 Fresh Peter Heding Pipes
18 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
9 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of running through the Burley Flake series at some point. I've been looking for the Solani Burley flake for a bit. hopefully it comes around sometime soon.
May I suggest starting with Burley Flake #s 1 and 2.

Pop 'em, rub some out, and let them sit for a couple weeks. They are special and unique.

Reactions: redleaderdave

redleaderdave

Lurker
Jan 19, 2022
Bridgewater Ma
Big 'n Burley? No one mentions that blend? I enjoyed its flavor in the very first bowl, but it snuck up on me with its nicotine. I've smoked a few stronger type blends which can be very enjoyable, so long as you realize when your nicotine tolerance has been reached and you pause consumption early enough to avoid hiccups or other negative manifestations of overload.
Most of the codger blends use burley as their base and have a casing or topping that often has cookie like flavors like clove, cinnamon, cardamon, or nutmeg.
I think that in general, tobacco flavor favors the umami end of the scale.
I have not come across this one yet. I also enjoy English blends, so this could be an interesting variation. Thanks for the tip!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
Although Latakia is on its list, I don't really think it is sensed in a typically heavy smokey taste or feel. It is, how you say, condimental. This is primarily a good stinky burley.
As a kid I worked at a small owner operated dairy farm and the smells I got from the barn are often the smells I get from a 'tin' of tobacco.
Sometimes it's more sweet and ripe, like moist wood chip/sawdust bedding, and other times it's like the sweetened grains we fed the cows. Then there are those really umami barn smells that include dust, animal stink, and general decay. Those are the burley smells.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
In no particular order:

Peter Stokkebye 702
Peretti BPC
HH Burley Flake
Watch City Stubb’s Pipe
Watch City American Cut Plug
Sutliff Match Ready Rubbed
GLP Barbary Coast
Mac Baren Navy Flake

damacene

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2022
I'm not a huge burley fan anymore, but Wessex Burley Slice is pretty stellar stuff. Also, if you don't mind a light rum topping and a wee bit of Latakia; Epiphany is very good.

Strange Quark

Lurker
Nov 9, 2023
No, it's the Lane Limited product (now out of production). The label states, in part, "Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed is made of the finest Kentucky and Tennessee White Burley tobaccos, carefully selected and aged to give the coolest smoke possible."

View attachment 324993
I really miss the older Lane version of Edgeworth about 25 years ago, very different to their last revamped version. It was short broad rough cut which was standard in their burley blends at the time. Ready-Rubbed really didn't apply here since it wasn't caked. It had a mild sweet grain-like flavor with some molasses and a slight almost cigar note in the aroma. Practically, no nicotine, it was so light. The blend color wasn't that dark, light medium brown and came compressed in those 14oz tins you had to pry it out with a knife. The OTC glory days are long gone.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

tmcg81

Lifer
May 8, 2020
NJ
I smoke burley about 75% of the time. HH Burley Flake is my favorite, but I really dig Solani Aged Burley Flake, Pegasus, Old Dark Fired, Burley Morning Pipe, and another blend that will remain nameless because of how much I like it and how increasingly difficult it has become to acquire. The only burleys I don't care for are Briar Fox, Wessex Burley Slice, and match Ready Rubbed.