Man, I love Burley. What's Your Favorite?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeMarc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2017
South East
What is the deal with that I have only been able to find 1 tin of cobblestone and it has been on my radar for a few years. Thanks for the reminder, and the search begins again.
it’s a very well put together flake. Perfect moisture content out of the tin. No artificial taste, yet still immensely rich with your classic burley flavors. For me it’s a subtle spiciness I pick up that I can’t get enough of as well.

redleaderdave

Lurker
Jan 19, 2022
Bridgewater Ma
Welcome to the winning team.

You already enjoyed Pegasus and HB, so continue trying the rest of Bob Runowski's portfolio, as nearly all of his blends feature burley.

If you can get it, Solani Burley Flake is superb. For something different, Barbary Coast is another banger from GL Pease. For something bold, MacBuren Old Dark Fired is just the thing. And the ever reliable Briar Fox is a wonderfully consistent VaBur blend.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of running through the Burley Flake series at some point. I've been looking for the Solani Burley flake for a bit. hopefully it comes around sometime soon.

dog_park_piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
My first bag of DRTT arrived yesterday and I immediately loaded up a large bowl. Very pleasant, and I quickly started thinking about blends I could build with it.

I just noticed that the shorthand name also describes how inexpensive the blend is: DRTT cheap!
Haha DRTT cheap is right. 20 bucks for a pound of great tobacco. I am constantly using it with every thing else I smoke that’s not flake. Right now I’m smoking it

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
it’s a very well put together flake. Perfect moisture content out of the tin. No artificial taste, yet still immensely rich with your classic burley flavors. For me it’s a subtle spiciness I pick up that I can’t get enough of as well.
noticed that Country Squire had it , so I grabbed a couple more tins excited to compare it with Aged Burley Flake, I hear it has a bit of Va in it which is fine by me, like peanut butter and Jelly

Reactions: PipeMarc

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
So, so many good ones. Lots of greats have been named here. I'll jot down a few others...
Shout out to Peretti again, but this time for blend 111.
Also JM Boswells, but Premium Burley blend. (I really need to try the one before mentioned: Old School.)
Vincent Manil Semois! No burley man should live w/o trying this one. Quite unique. My $.02.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
Big 'n Burley? No one mentions that blend? I enjoyed its flavor in the very first bowl, but it snuck up on me with its nicotine. I've smoked a few stronger type blends which can be very enjoyable, so long as you realize when your nicotine tolerance has been reached and you pause consumption early enough to avoid hiccups or other negative manifestations of overload.
Most of the codger blends use burley as their base and have a casing or topping that often has cookie like flavors like clove, cinnamon, cardamon, or nutmeg.
I think that in general, tobacco flavor favors the umami end of the scale.