PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmccarthy

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
Does anyone know how to make a home made pipe tool with just stuff from around the house?

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Hold up your hand, as if you're going to trace it to make a child's drawing of a turkey.
Starting w/ your thumb, put fingers down...One...Two...Three...Four...
You should now be left w/ a fist and a pinky. Use the fleshy part to tamp, and the nail to scoop. If you can't find the necessary equipment in your house, try the opposite side of your body, if that still doesn't work than I'm impressed you've been pipe smoking all this time anyway!
:mrgreen: :nana: :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Sometimes just the obvious eludes us. I have an old butterknife that is good for cleaning out stubborn dottle in the bottom of my pipes. A papertowel is an excellent cake reaming tool. Some of the guys here have rounded the end of a pocket knife blade to make a scoop. And a nail or 3/8" bolt makes an excellent tamper.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Here are my nail tampers.

DSC_0369.jpg

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
More of a thin waxed cotton used for leather work binding, with superglue holding it steady.
Golf Tees work great also.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
One day I plan on getting one of those fancy ones from smokindawg but it's out of the budget for now. Maybe I will have to try and make one like yours, Kennerth. Don't have a grinder though. I wonder if I could just flatten it with a hammer.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I like using an old pocket knife. Or a nail. I got a few you can have PM me and I will work something out to get you a couple that I never use.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
go find any hardwood tree and pick a branch that is the diameter of a tamper. Cut it to desired lenght, and then slice one end on a severe bias so that the cut exposes about and inch of wood. Now take some sand paper and sand the flat tamping end and shape the sliced end into a spoon/scraper. Char the exposed ends or the whole thing over a fire to get the sap out of it and voila, tamper. I make these when I go camping and have forgotten a tamper. Any rough rock will work as sandpaper.
branch-tamper-600x258.png

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A variation of what ohin3 suggested would be something like this. It is a piece of wild grapevine with a little sanding,stain and a tack epoxied into the end.

brass-tamper-010-600x450.jpg

With a little more work you can make something like these. The one on the left was made from a can opener bought at a flea market.You can see the "business" end of it to the far left. The others were made from pipes. Chop off the bowl,grind or file a bolt head round and insert into the end of the shank.

lady-grabow-013-600x424.jpg

Reactions: yohanan

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I have just used a bullet before, it was just sitting around and I didn't have my tool on me. Worked really well!

Similar to the one ejames made, but mine was not used or as nice.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Photoman, Sure it would work. A hammer, a scrap piece of flat steel, a torch lighter, a pair of pliers, and a cup of water. Heat it up, beat the crap out of it, quench it, let it cool, doll it up with some string or thread if you like, and you have it. IF you have a stone on a dremel tool, that would work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.