PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
This is the easy pipe tool I made and have been using for a while. It's a solid brass wood screw I bought at the hardware store. I used a Dremel to round off the sharp point and also to partially shave off the screw threads. I then worked the whole thing over with course steel wool followed by fine wool. The rounded threads work great for scraping off junk on the walls of the bowl. It was super shiny when I first finished it but has now developed that nice dull yellow patina.
005-4.jpg

"I hope so I don't want to SCREW it up!"

-nice one photoman, I just noticed that. :lol:

Reactions: yohanan

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I use ohin3's method but I sand it real good, then put a coat of Helmsman on it and glue it into a spent .45 case. A few people on here have one of those.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
I have a stash of spoons with nice design on the end. Dremel cut off wheel cuts the spoon before the spoon part at desired length and then I grind end to desired sharpness or roundness. Nice looking and functional for clearing out left over ash and dottle. Also, brass hinge pin or a stove bolt for tampers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Those are perfect Kennerth! I use a simple Brebbia pipe nail, fashioned in a similar manner. I'll have to craft something similar one of these days, probably using a part from my Triumph motorcycle parts stash.
21%2Bf2aKEsgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
I am currently carving up an overgrowen rose bush vine with large bumbs all over it.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@ Shawn: I'm sure they would make great tampers. Any fruit wood or hard wood works great.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
Case makes a mini "doctors" knife.

The great things about Doctor models are they have a flat bolster = perfect tamper,

a spatula blade = great bowl cleaner and of course a regular blade = always handy.

You can go with a regular Doctor model but it is a big knife. The mini is just the right size.I

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
I use a door hinge pin.. some one brought back a bad hinge to my Hardware store and I repurposed the pin part

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Glad I found this forum. I'm always losing the little pipe tools I whittle from branches. Just a tamper shape with sharp point at the end. Never even thought of using a golf-tee. That's wayyyy better than what's in my pocket now which is...a spent .357 magnum case for tamping, a Czech pipe tool just for the pick because the tamper doesn't fit down my pipes, and a lighter (with a removable useless tamper that also doesn't fit my pipes, and the pick is too short to be any use for cleaning). Going to get some golf tees to cut down the bulk in my pocket! They're only $3.00 for a hundred, I think at target.

Reactions: yohanan
Status
Not open for further replies.