PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I recently had someone send me some large caliber cartridges that he wanted me to make into some tampers for him. I didn't like the way the tampers looked with the full length brass so I took a tubing cutter and cut the brass down and made these three tampers.
I still need too epoxy the brass on and then buff them again by you'll get the idea of what they will look like from this picture.
I think they turned out good and plan on making more of them in the near future.
DSC01691.jpg

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
45 and one 450 is what those are. They worked out great and cutting them down was easy enough.
Thanks for the compliments.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I'll be working on more in the next couple days and will try to get some pictures up. Also get a picture up of the bamboo one too.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I made a couple more tampers using the ammo casings yesterday.
The blue one with white swirls is something I've been toying with for a while, in my head anyway. It's got a stainless steel internal pick. It is drilled and installed just like the stem on the pipes I make. I drilled a 1/4" mortise and used delrin for the tenon. I cut off stainless steel Tig rods for the pick. Turned out pretty well.
I also made one using bamboo, for the guys that just have to have their bamboo. :)
They look much better than the pictures portray. I've also polished the brass up on the ones in the picture of three and they look much better.
DSC01811.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

DSC01808.jpg

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
I agree that cutting down the brass makes a big improvement. That bamboo one looks nice? How about putting the spoon type tool instead of the pick? Maybe a three way tool with a pick in one end and the spoon in the other?

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Chispa, not sure I could do the spoon tool.......... Not inserted in the tamper without making the tamper itself too big.
I may however be able too make the opposite end a bit spoon shaped rather than rounding it over. I'll have to think on that one some more.
The pick did work like I saw it in my mind though and it turned out well for a first try.

Status
Not open for further replies.