PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
A lovat is a degradation of the holy straight, which has a long tapered stem and a short shank. The stem should be very finely tapered such as I've seen only twice, one on a George Dibos pipe and the others by Ingo Garbe, such that they could be said to outshine the stummel. The lovat's extended shank, a coarse rendering, makes for but a stub of a stem, the pipe looking like it was made by an untooled pigmy in the heart of the Amazon.

The wrong dimension's trash the shape.
Couldn't have said it better. I love a straight billiard, really dislike the lovat or Canadian shape, feels just off to me in every way.

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Couldn't have said it better. I love a straight billiard, really dislike the lovat or Canadian shape, feels just off to me in every way.
That’s a strong opinion, but I respect it very much.

The author remains my preferred smoke because I like to hold a pipe and the round shape is like holding a golf ball.

I also like a “nose warmer” so I think the lovat reminds me of my favorite cob, Carolina Gent.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
That’s a strong opinion, but I respect it very much.

The author remains my preferred smoke because I like to hold a pipe and the round shape is like holding a golf ball.

I also like a “nose warmer” so I think the lovat reminds me of my favorite cob, Carolina Gent.
I'm a bit confused why you think a lovat is like a nose warmer. They are normal length pipes, pretty much the same as a billiard'.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I’m a big fan of Lovat’s (pronounced “Love it”) named after Lord Lovat, Chief of the Fraser Clan.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
6b82a5d7-9726-4fef-86d1-9db9d1df0be0-jpeg.78371
View attachment 78372
I read somewhere, back in the days the model was also called as Inverness' in England&Scotland