PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
A Lovat (and Canadian) never fails to please the eye!

dsc_6004-jpg.39627

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have only one Lovat, and I'm not sure it qualifies. It is a Johs and has a short shank, hence is not really in the Canadian shape family, yet Mogen Johansen, the Johs carver/owner calls it a Lovat, so I follow suite. It has the billiard bowl and short saddle stem, but the shank is short too. It is a compact pipe and a good smoker, Lovat or not.
I call Canadian shape pipes the stateliest shape, but maybe that's just me.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I have only one Lovat, and I'm not sure it qualifies. It is a Johs and has a short shank, hence is not really in the Canadian shape family, yet Mogen Johansen, the Johs carver/owner calls it a Lovat, so I follow suite. It has the billiard bowl and short saddle stem, but the shank is short too. It is a compact pipe and a good smoker, Lovat or not.
I call Canadian shape pipes the stateliest shape, but maybe that's just me.
I’ve seen those and like them a lot

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A lovat is a degradation of the holy straight, which has a long tapered stem and a short shank. The stem should be very finely tapered such as I've seen only twice, one on a George Dibos pipe and the others by Ingo Garbe, such that they could be said to outshine the stummel. The lovat's extended shank, a coarse rendering, makes for but a stub of a stem, the pipe looking like it was made by an untooled pigmy in the heart of the Amazon.

The wrong dimension's trash the shape.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
A lovat is a degradation of the holy straight, which has a long tapered stem and a short shank. The stem should be very finely tapered such as I've seen only twice, one on a George Dibos pipe and the others by Ingo Garbe, such that they could be said to outshine the stummel. The lovat's extended shank, a coarse rendering, makes for but a stub of a stem, the pipe looking like it was made by an untooled pigmy in the heart of the Amazon.

The wrong dimension's trash the shape.
You’re lucky, the rest of us will now have more competition when we make a bid. ???