PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I love watching Clint Eastwood movies! Anyone else?

Just watched and loved "Cry Macho." Clint and Dwight Yoakam were great (Dwight's great, too--loved his music, his dancing when performing and his accent-doesn't sound like folks from Ohio to me :). Eastwood and Yoakam in this movie somehow remind me of Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson when they acted together. Clint and Dwight evoke the same appreciation and enjoyment to me.

kindly
mike in texas

p.s. I am blown away as I think that Eastwood is 91 when acting in this movie. Wow!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The last true Hollywood Icon. It is amazing that he's still directing and acting. He's got another one in the works right now, "Juror #2".

I grew up on Eastwood movies...especially the westerns. No home video in those days...it was either the theater or wait for it to come to TV. ANY Eastwood movie on TV I watched without fail as a kid...no matter how many times I'd seen it. And when a new one was in the theater, it was a real treat.

The big 3 Spaghetti Westerns were of course what really captured my imagination beginning with my earliest memories upon reaching the initial age when I could comprehend and appreciate a movie. Westerns were what I loved in my preteen years, and none compared with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

He was king of the box office in the '70s...the two biggest highlights were Dirty Harry and The Outlaw Josey Wales. But several of his very best movies of his entire career came in the '90s and 00's.

Most of his classic movies would never be made these days. Not only are his times gone forever, but filmmaking as it was...the era of cinema...seems to be gone now too.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
The last true Hollywood Icon. It is amazing that he's still directing and acting. He's got another one in the works right now, "Juror #2".

I grew up on Eastwood movies...especially the westerns. No home video in those days...it was either the theater or wait for it to come to TV. ANY Eastwood movie on TV I watched without fail as a kid...no matter how many times I'd seen it. And when a new one was in the theater, it was a real treat.

The big 3 Spaghetti Westerns were of course what really captured my imagination beginning with my earliest memories upon reaching the initial age when I could comprehend and appreciate a movie. Westerns were what I loved in my preteen years, and none compared with The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

He was king of the box office in the '70s...the two biggest highlights were Dirty Harry and The Outlaw Josey Wales. But several of his very best movies of his entire career came in the '90s and 00's.

Most of his classic movies would never be made these days. Not only are his times gone forever, but filmmaking as it was...the era of cinema...seems to be gone now too.
I grew up watching his westerns on a Zenith floor model tv in the 70s while lying on the floor under a cloud of Marlboro Red cigarette smoke 🤣Screenshot_20230822-230342~2.png

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I find I most enjoy the movies he makes for himself. Bronco Billy, Unforgiven, Trouble With the Curve and such are, for me, great movies, not made for commercial success but, because he liked the story and wanted to bring it to the screen. His rep is so secure he can get anything he wants produced. The name escapes me for the moment but his movie about John Ford was spellbinding. Better actors love his lack of detailed direction, just letting them grasp the story and do their thing. He is indeed an American icon!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I always liked Clint Eastwood on the screen, but I like him even more as a director. He's maintained the art of simply telling the story and not trying to be "creative" about it. That doesn't mean he's not creative, nor shallow. Nobody could have made a wondrous film like Hereafter who was either of those things. He just doesn't engage in the superfluous. Maybe that's why I have almost all of his films, including the big boxed set, on DVD.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I grew up watching his westerns on a Zenith floor model tv in the 70s while lying on the floor under a cloud of Marlboro Red cigarette smoke 🤣View attachment 241838
Take me back to my early childhood why don'tcha?

Yeah it took me until my early 30s but eventually I became a fan.
I don't pretend to understand the man personally, but the movies are quality.