PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ExplorerPipe

Lurker
Mar 3, 2022
Hey everybody,
Just recently found this site not too long ago. I’ve been a pipe smoker for several years now started in the Army. I love smoking a pipe it is so relaxing and cathartic. Heck I’ve smoked all over the war even during gun fights ?. Well I was recently medically retired from the military. Honestly, I was lost for a long time trying to figure out what to do. I recently got in contact with an old battle buddy who lives in Alaska. So I’m now getting ready to move up there to start training as a pilot. I’m sure it’s less dangerous than being a Ranger for the past 13 years. Even if it’s harder I finally feel alive again and have a purpose. Sorry for venting to everyone but small things like that help. Anyway I’m looking for a pipe and pipe tobacco recommendations for my new journey in life. I generally like traditional pipe shapes. I currently have a moonshine stoker, Peterson 264 Canadian, Erik Stokkebye Vintage Natural 1957, Devil Anse, and a Nording Bent Dublin. They are all brown and smooth or leather blasted. As you can see very traditional. I prefer the bigger bowls for long smokes. As far as tobacco I smoke Seattle pipe club Mississippi River special reserve, I loved all the Frog Morton series especially cellar and on the town, McClelland Balkan, Mac Baren Syrian, Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, I recently got the Peterson tobaccos Early Morning Pipe, elizabethan, and nightcap. As you can tail I predominantly use English tobaccos but I am open to good aromatic‘s. Most of the ones I’ve tried over the years just taste like bad tobacco with flavoring added on top to cover up the bad tobacco. So if you could recommend some good aromatics I’ll take that as well but predominantly I am looking for a celebratory smoke to represent my new journey. I’m very sorry for the long essay but hopefully y’all can help me out. And I look forward to contributing to this group for many years to come.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. Do not overlook the Codger blends. These tobaccos have been around for a long, long time for a reason. They are a good, basic smoke. Velvet, Sir Walter Raleigh, Granger, Prince Albert, Half & Half and there are Match blends of past greats, such as Field and Stream, Walnut, Holiday, etc. Try them, I think you will enjoy some of the past greats.

ExplorerPipe

Lurker
Mar 3, 2022
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. Do not overlook the Codger blends. These tobaccos have been around for a long, long time for a reason. They are a good, basic smoke. Velvet, Sir Walter Raleigh, Granger, Prince Albert, Half & Half and there are Match blends of past greats, such as Field and Stream, Walnut, Holiday, etc. Try them, I think you will enjoy some of the past greats.
I’m familiar with Prince Albert and Half & Half but not with the others. I will look into them. I may just buy most and try. Thank you for the recommendation.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Wow and welcome!

Wilke No. 515 might fit with your preference.

Wilke Peanut Butter & Chocolate for a change of pace.

Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake for much more of a change of pace. Newminster 400 also Yorktown I’m enjoying.

No expert here, and I’ve had some English to sample recently that’s been good but that’s not what you are after so I won’t go there.

Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Welcome from NYC and thanks for your service. I've liked some limited release blends from Cornell & Diehl, Peterson, etc. Some are lightly topped and have a pleasant, but natural, tobacco flavor. If C&D ever reissues Sun Bear Black Locust, I'll be picking up a couple of tins.

Reactions: edger

ExplorerPipe

Lurker
Mar 3, 2022
Welcome from Sydeny, Oz.

You might like some of the blends from Boswell's. They also have pipes that are made in-house., though those tend to go very quickly. Family-run business with great friendly service.
I’m not familiar with them. I will look into them maybe I can even grab a pipe.

Reactions: OzPiper

ExplorerPipe

Lurker
Mar 3, 2022
Wow and welcome!

Wilke No. 515 might fit with your preference.

Wilke Peanut Butter & Chocolate for a change of pace.

Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake for much more of a change of pace. Newminster 400 also Yorktown I’m enjoying.

No expert here, and I’ve had some English to sample recently that’s been good but that’s not what you are after so I won’t go there.
Oh wow I’m very intrigued by the peanut butter and chocolate but I’ll grab a ton of all these. Please by all means recommend the English you are trying as well.

ExplorerPipe

Lurker
Mar 3, 2022
Welcome from NYC and thanks for your service. I've liked some limited release blends from Cornell & Diehl, Peterson, etc. Some are lightly topped and have a pleasant, but natural, tobacco flavor. If C&D ever reissues Sun Bear Black Locust, I'll be picking up a couple of tins.
I’ve had a few C&D before and never had a bad experience. I’ll keep an eye out for the Sun Bear Black Locust I’ve not had that.

Reactions: edger and dunnyboy