PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
I’ve been trying to figure out what my old neighbor when I was a kid smoked, as well as my grandpa. He lived on the other side of the country, so that smell was more distant and far between. I know it was borkum riff for a time. Not sure what his main go to smoke was. I have only tried 1Q of all the blends mentioned here. Never got started on drugstore blends. I am curious to try half and half or something similar. I have a few aromatics but none of them bring back the memories in the way I want them too. Also, the room note is heavily lost on me when I’m the smoker.

Reactions: edger and JOHN72

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
It’s already been said, but always found SWR to be the quintessential old school pipe room note.

Burley blends from Peretti and Uhle’s are also right up there. And there’s something nostalgic to me about Wilke No.5’s room note.

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
I grew up in the Pittsburgh area,Cutty Pipe(think Five Brothers) was the smoke I remember most. It was cheap and the old timers would chew it in the mines(NO SMOKING). They don't make Cutty Pipe any longer,but Five Brothers brings me back to Grandpap's kitchen.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72 and edger

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I sincerely believe few, if any, of those old timers bought "custom mixed" blends. They weren't fussy, and bought whatever the stores had available. Cheap, OTC mixtures suited them just fine. Velvet, Revelation, Amphora, Troost, Grainger, CH, H&H, SWR, PA, Cherry Blend, Walnut, are but a few that I remember being sold at any well stocked drug store, or, in the smoking sections in most big stores. As a kid I loved looking at all the can art, and the fancy, calligraphic lettering, but especially loved to sniff all the pipe tobacco blends, sold in pouches.

Funny, how evoking the names of all these OTC pipe tobaccos takes me right back to when I was just a skinny boy, a young teen, out Christmas shopping, buying presents for my mom, dad, and sister. I bought my dad a can of "Troost", for Christmas that year, back in 1964,mom got some perfume...... Gotta go. My eyes are getting misty.

Last edited:

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve been on a quest for this too... and have recently tried every OTC brand that I could find, which would’ve probably been smoked during that time. I’ve concluded that Captain Black Original/White was the closest based on my recollection.

Reactions: JOHN72

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Half and Half for me, but I'm older than most here. My uncles all smoked it back in the '50s. Sometime back in the '60s or so, I think, there was even a "pipe tobacco" cigarette available everywhere. The tobacco used was Half and Half. Trouble is, the Half and Half of today doesn't smell the same as that of yesteryear. Neither does Carter Hall. Could be me, I suppose. Half and Half has an interesting history, as far as its flavorings go. Wish I could find the article.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
This right here seems to remind everyone that I know of nostalgic room note:

that is some really good stuff! It's the exact same tobacco as Sutliffs B27 Black and Golden Cavendish. The only thing is that it has to dry out for over an hour.

Reactions: Bodhi