PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Last night on the deck I loaded up a bowl of 1-Q knowing my neighbors were outside nearby. When my S.O. came outside to join me I asked her if it smelled like the pipes she remembers her relatives, etc. smoking when she grew up. She said, "no, it smells too sweet, like vanilla or cherry or something." Fair play. 1-Q is sweet. But what does smell like the quintessential pipe smell we all remember growing up with? Just any 'ole OTC blend? Burley with a light topping rather than full blown aro like 1-Q? I have zero sense of the room note of things I'm smoking.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
This is an over generalization but I' have to say that the closest you come to this would be burley. All the codger blends started with this leaf and added their various casings. I remember stopping a pipe smoker on the street because the aroma was captivating. Turned out to be good old Half and Half!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Try Half & Half, Carter Hall, or something like that. Just a good old Burley-based “codger” blend is probably what you’re after. Depending on how far back your nostalgia goes, you might try C&D Gentleman Caller, which is like an upscale codger blend with deer tongue in it, which apparently was a popular additive at one point in time. Half & Half, and maybe others used to contain it.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Clan aromatic really hits that old time pipey and pleasant room note. The taste is similar and nice.
It burns hot and is very mild(in nicotine), which is why I've only ever had one pouch(the wife picked it up after a suggestion from the "tobacconist") ?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Personally, I've observed that Prince Albert and Carter Hall (to a lesser extent) are the only ones in my stash that get that nostalgic reaction out of others. The Tinderbox aromatics smell more like fancy candles, potpourri, or tire fires, and the Stokkebye stuff smells more like cigarette tobacco. I'm assuming that any blend with similar characteristics to Prince Albert (primarily burley, light casing/topping, etc) would have the same effect.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
This right here seems to remind everyone that I know of nostalgic room note:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
As others have mentioned, Half & Half, Sir Walter Raleigh and Carter Hall might be the best aromas for creating this sensation and they're cheap and usually easily located at shops, if they carry any pipe tobacco. I actually just enjoy the break from other tobaccos with some Carter Hall or Sir Walter Raleigh from time to time as sort of a palate cleansing I like to do. CH is also pretty good to break in a cob with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For non-pipe-smokers, the best room notes may be flavorings like vanilla, cherry, and chocolate. It's sort of a pipe shop and ice cream shop association that brings to mind a jolly grandfather figure. It has little to do with what actually tastes good to an experienced pipe smoker. Latakia is pure skunk smell to non-pipe-smokers. I think Perique is sort of an industrial smell, like renting an apartment near a steel foundry. Burley maybe smells like railroad tracks and sweat. Whereas to me, burley smells like Thanksgiving Dinner.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
For non-pipe-smokers, the best room notes may be flavorings like vanilla, cherry, and chocolate. It's sort of a pipe shop and ice cream shop association that brings to mind a jolly grandfather figure. It has little to do with what actually tastes good to an experienced pipe smoker. Latakia is pure skunk smell to non-pipe-smokers. I think Perique is sort of an industrial smell, like renting an apartment near a steel foundry. Burley maybe smells like railroad tracks and sweat. Whereas to me, burley smells like Thanksgiving Dinner.
Interesting, I can smell both of those aromas in burleys depending on the hour/day/underwear color