Looking for Burley-Forward Blends with Very Little Latakia.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

When I returned to pipe smoking and tried some of my cellared tins from the early 'oughts, I found that I no longer care for English or Balkan blends, primarily because I lost my taste for latakia. I recall even back then I had stopped buying such blends for that very reason. I stopped opening the old tins so as to be able to trade or sell them, rather than waste another I know I won't like.

Moving on to present time -- I like burley or burley forward anything, my staples are Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop. I'm also very much enjoying Redburn. I'm interested in "codger style" blends, and I find that dismissing any blend with latakia is limiting. To that end, I wanted to try some burley based blends that uses latakia sparingly as a condiment, much like having a touch of kentucky or perique. I looked into it, and ordered two small tins to try: Morley's Best, and Old Joe Krantz Red Label.

I'd welcome any thoughts on those, or suggestions from this distinguished group of experts for other blends to try with that characteristic. I suspect I might enjoy a touch of latakia in a burley blend, if it doesn't just straight up taste like a latakia blend to me. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nat Sherman 536, one of the most elegant and refined English blends not sufficiently celebrated, just a damned fine smoke, sold by the tin, or in bulk at the store on 42nd Street in Manhattan. SP has it, as do many online retailers.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Good choice. I'd say Morley's Best is just what you're looking for.
I have high hopes for it, many reviews refer to the Lat as condimental only. I also see a lot of references to Blue Boar, which is before my time, but fits my desire to experience premium codgers, as best as one can nowadays.

Reactions: logs

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Nat Sherman 536, one of the most elegant and refined English blends not sufficiently celebrated, just a damned fine smoke, sold by the tin, or in bulk at the store on 42nd Street in Manhattan. SP has it, as do many online retailers.
I second that. It's a really nice blend and refined is really the best word to describe it. It is hard to imagine someone not liking this one, maybe not finding it a favorite but liking it. And yeah it's got a solid burly quality that is some how smoother then burly typically is.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I get to NYC now and again -- a visit to this place is on my list :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You could ask for Clyde Gold there, if he hasn't retired. Nat Sherman is a fun place to go. They have a large smoking area and humidor, rocking chairs, and a conversation area, although you may want to avoid that if the cigar crowd is bragging it up too loudly. Sometimes good people watching.

srgjazz

Lurker
Jun 5, 2020
When I returned to pipe smoking and tried some of my cellared tins from the early 'oughts, I found that I no longer care for English or Balkan blends, primarily because I lost my taste for latakia. I recall even back then I had stopped buying such blends for that very reason. I stopped opening the old tins so as to be able to trade or sell them, rather than waste another I know I won't like.

Moving on to present time -- I like burley or burley forward anything, my staples are Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop. I'm also very much enjoying Redburn. I'm interested in "codger style" blends, and I find that dismissing any blend with latakia is limiting. To that end, I wanted to try some burley based blends that uses latakia sparingly as a condiment, much like having a touch of kentucky or perique. I looked into it, and ordered two small tins to try: Morley's Best, and Old Joe Krantz Red Label.

I'd welcome any thoughts on those, or suggestions from this distinguished group of experts for other blends to try with that characteristic. I suspect I might enjoy a touch of latakia in a burley blend, if it doesn't just straight up taste like a latakia blend to me. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
My experience is identical to yours. OJK has been my go to. Just ordered some Deluxe Crumb Cut.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Update: Tried several suggestions here, I found that I enjoy a rare (once a day or two) burley forward blend with a _touch_ of latakia, but only if it's got some perique. For example, Morley's Best is obviously good, but even that level of latakia, absent some sort of spice, didn't ring a bell with me. Old Joe Krantz Red Label ended up being spot on for my rather picky requirements regarding Latakia, as the perique allowed me to enjoy the latakia condiment. Basically OJK with a pinch of latakia. It seems a bit obscure (OJK Red), but as some have suggested, I could just get some Latakia, and add it to a bowl of OJK when I feel that calling. I never run out of that stuff.
I haven't ordered any new tobacco yet, but some suggested Revelation Match, which I see has perique, so that will be one for me try down the road. Thanks All

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Two of my favorites that might fill the bill are John Bull and Super Value English Mixture. Don't let the brand fool you for the Super Value, check out the reviews.

Reactions: mso489

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I have a tin on the way, to try it. So far have re-established appreciation of latakia as a light compliment via Old Joe Krantz Red Label, which I think deserves more attention than it seems to get. That's probably because it's named after an already-established blend. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: mso489
Status
Not open for further replies.