PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The Executive model only had leather on the reservoir side. His does look like the gold plating has flaked off though.

View attachment 96087
It has flaked a slight amount. However, being that is my father’s old lighter it is only character marks . I wouldn’t sell it and it works flawlessly. I don’t think it is possible for working lighter of that age not to show some wear and tear. The plating wasn’t designed for heavy use and exposure to the conditions of life.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It has flaked a slight amount. However, being that is my father’s old lighter it is only character marks . I wouldn’t sell it and it works flawlessly. I don’t think it is possible for working lighter of that age not to show some wear and tear. The plating wasn’t designed for heavy use and exposure to the conditions of life.
Even NOS ones have dings. Got mine NOS for $25 from ebay several years ago and while cosmetically flawless, I had to drill out the old flint.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Even NOS ones have dings. Got mine NOS for $25 from ebay several years ago and while cosmetically flawless, I had to drill out the old flint.
Mine froze from a bit of non use as well and I had to do the same. Now I use it every few months to insure flint stays free. If I were to use it as a mainstay lighter I would use the sportsman model which is bare aluminum.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
IM Corona or Kiribi. I have 2 of each. They're cheaper than any of the other lighters. Whoa, you say, the upfront price is double or more. Yeah, but by the time you buy 2 to 4 of the other lighters after the previous ones crap out, they actually cost more. My IM Corona and Kiribi have been going for 2 years and longer. Good luck in your search.
I second the Kiribi recommendation.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
No built in tamper, but I dig the Bic EZ Reach:
EZ_Reach_Web_Template_nobutton.png
I actually use these, and you can use that stack as a tamper just fine! You just might have to knock a bit of tobacco out if it after. :)

RaoulDuke

Lurker
Apr 25, 2020
Australia
No mention of the Xikar Resource? Mine has been in constant use for 3 years and never misses a beat. Has a built in tamper, which is a bit on the small side, and a built in scraper. Great lighter.
I have a xikar resource. It’s a good lighter. I’m happy with it, nothing wrong with it all.

But I would describe my IM Coronas as really good. They’re a step above the xikar in quality and aesthetics I feel. In price too mind you.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I’ve enjoyed reading the suggestions and have come to the conclusion that no perfect lighter exists.

The reason I went away from matches is the clean up and inconvenience.

I wouldn’t want a BIC because of the burn potential, but some here have found a way to use them.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths
Status
Not open for further replies.