PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
So...I have an old style can 2002 Haddo can that looks OK. Fingers crossed for later today when it goes in a jar...
Appreciate the heads up.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
I'm now wondering if I should pull my for trade thread! HA! I think that will be the right thing to do. I thought they were minor surface rust spots!
Need to open soon.
s-l1600-600x337.jpg

s-l16001-600x337.jpg

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
The can of the Haddo from 2000 is perfect. No rust anywhere to be seen. Very little shake and it sounds moist for sure. I am hesitant to open. I think Im going to live dangerously and let it ride...

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
So I just popped the tin of 04 Samara!
The tobacco was bone dry, it is re-hydrating now but I am not sure if it ever will be the same! I will never know! I'll let it rest for a week and give it try!
Here is the tin rust from inside, also this tin had special lining on the inside. The two orange spots on the label can be mapped to the same spots of the interior of the tin, ate through from inside to out!
20180319_162806-600x337.jpg

20180319_162822-600x337.jpg

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
^^ heartbreaker. ^^
And yeah, on others the OUTSIDE of the tin and the wrapping may look completely perfect. Yet inside, the trouble is a'brewing. You just can't tell until you pop the top. Often a good shake of the tin will be helpful sometimes, as many of us know the rattling sound of overdry tobacco. Also, if the tin is bulging (due to fermentation) that can often be indicative that all is well and that the tobacco is still good.
If a guy or gal is on the hunt for those older GLP blends, the 8 oz bags are a much safer bet. Pic of GLP bags below (and dont pass out looking at the price)

https://www.4noggins.com/G-L-Pease-Mephisto-2003-C.aspx

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
gkr1...that sucks. Looks like your can rusted though not only at the solder spots.
I hope it is not a total loss and that you can enjoy the rehydrated tobacco.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The can of the Haddo from 2000 is perfect. No rust anywhere to be seen. Very little shake and it sounds moist for sure. I am hesitant to open. I think Im going to live dangerously and let it ride...
I've had better luck with the 2000 cans. But keep in mind that it's corroding from the inside out. So it may look perfect on the outside, not a bit of stain on the label, no rust visible on the base, and be a shredded basket case along the sides under that label.
That's a shame about the Samarra. I hope that it resuscitates well.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
that sucks. Looks like your can rusted though not only at the solder spots.
I hope it is not a total loss and that you can enjoy the rehydrated tobacco
Yes, its never fun to find out about aged tins have rusted through! I had a 2003 Dark Star with same issue. I think its best to jar after 7 years in tin to be safe! But with huge cellar that is not a fun thing to do!

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Thank you for the notice. I will check my three tins from that era. I had four and opened one Bohemian Scandal about two years ago. It was in fine shape. It's a special occasion smoke so I still have quite a bit left. I had an old tin of Sutliff #5 with the silver bottom and jarred it. Glad I did because the tobacco on the bottom was stuck to the rust that was forming.

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Well, I just ended three eBay auctions because this issue and thread were brought to my attention. It might cost me some fees, but I’d rather take a hit than selll something and have someone who paid a lot of money be upset that their tobacco is all crispy and foul. Unless they really DID want just the tin and not the contents!
The tins belonged to my pipe smoking mentor who died suddenly at Christmas. I have been asked by his widow to sell off his pipes and tobaccos to raise funds for her. The tins were 8oz of Bohemian Scandal, 2 oz tin of Renaissance, and an 8oz tin of Renaissance. It’s a shame, but I weighed the risks and I think I did the right thing. I’m only sad that she won’t really be getting anything for them. On the bright side, the other tins are doing well and have no signs of anything being wrong with them.
Kudos to jedbo...
Thanks fellas.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Rokerdepipe...you might consider re-listing those tins with good pictures, and describing any rust spots thoroughly. There are guys who will still be pleased to pay for these, because they're collectors. Let them pay you and the widow for them...knowing full well what they're getting. I understand your apprehension, but seems a shame not to.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
rokerdpipe,
an option: you may want to open them up and check the contents then put them into mason jars. If the tobacco is in good shape you could then sell them but buyers would have to trust you as it being the real deal. I have purchased tobaccos from people here on the forum in that very same way and never had an issue. I'm sure you'd have no troubles selling them here. Thanks for your honesty.
As for selling them as is? Personally I'd never purchase those tins without knowing what's inisde, even at a lesser price.
The only catch is that the rules for selling items here state that you need at least 100 posts. Unless that's changed or they make exceptions.

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Thank you for the comments fellas. I do not have the requisite number of posts here to sell any tobacco and I have shitloads of it to sell. Trouble is, I’m in Canada and one can’t advertise this kind of thing. I don’t think I’ll post them up on eBay; too much hassle and there are international misunderstandings that could occur.
I appreciate this thread and your help, very much.
Eric

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Sable, I opened an old style can of 2000 Cairo from Mr Pease last night in honor of my father who passed away yesterday. The leaf was perfection and a small refuge inside a hard day.
"Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile"

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
folanator, Please accept my condolences for your loss.
rokerdepipe, At the very least, pop the top and jar the contents. That 8 ounce had a spot or two on the label, so it's likely breached. But there's always the chance that the contents haven't yet been dried out and you can at least save the contents to enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.