PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I'm ten months into the year of fully oxigenated blood I promised my heart after flat lining a few days after triple bypass surgery back in June. This June I'll reassess my position. I like the additional moneys in my pocket but, I do miss the nicotine. We'll see how tough, and/or stupid I might be this June.
All the best Warren.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I hope to some day be able to voluntarily let my pipes rest. Just for a day or two. Like many of you tough guys, who often inspire me puffy.gif

It should only be a hobby, when time and place permits. My body and brain do however not like that thought. It's awful enough at work these days, when you have to abstain for too many hours. It is not only the nicotine for me. All the years as a student, with only a few one-hour lessons a day, and then in offices, where I could lit my pipe or cigarette, whenever I liked. Later, when smoking was banned, I enjoyed a short smoking break outside the office, every hour or so. Like my boss. Nobody should tell you not to. I am just lucky that I am almost never too sick to smoke: Twentysomething years ago I had a flu. I think. I didn't smoke that day.

Few years later I decided to not let the habit rule. For a week. But couldn't stand sitting in the office all day without smoking breaks, so I foolishly quit the job. They fortunately rehired me, when I started smoking again.

At least I haven’t smoked any cigarettes for about ten years now and I never will again.

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
I took a complete break for a year and some due to sinus problems. The situation is chronic so I still don't smoke a lot.

My busiest period is summer when I can easily have a sit down somewhere in the city and smoke in the afternoons. The rest of year depends on my mood and health situation, e.g. since last autumn I had maybe 15-20 bowls.

Things are picking up now, but honestly, I'd rather smoke once in a full moon than not at all. It doesn't bother me much.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
No smoking for the first 47 years of my life (I am now 47 and a few months), save the drunken cigarette in college or the celebratory cigar here and there. First smoked a pipe this past October. The jury is still out as to how committed I will become, but I do enjoy it. I've smoked about 2 bowls per week since then, and don't anticipate going much higher than that. I am having fun experimenting with different blends. But none have completely "spoken" to me. I now realize I am smoking tobacco, and that is what it tastes like. I was initially thrown at first by tin note and room note, expecting the flavor to be more similar to those.

This past weekend smoked C&D Yorktown, and liked the natural flavor of the tobacco. So maybe my palate is becoming more accepting.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
About 8 weeks last autumn when I had an illness. Currently I'm on 3 weeks. Having some health issues and have an endoscopy scheduled in a couple of weeks. The pipes are on hiatus until the doc figures out what's wrong.

Reactions: danish and jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From about 1990 to 2002, I would guess. Quit in solidarity with my late wife who'd had a multi-pack a day cigarette habit, so happy to see her quit. After I lost her, I started back after a couple years after buying a Mountain Laurel pipe from Jerry Perry at the N.C. State Fair. I'm a moderate smoker, a bowl or two a day, with a day or more off from time to time. Originally I started in my thirties, about 1978 ... guessing. I had advanced skills imprinted from watching my dad who smoked Granger from age 15 to 65.

Mar 1, 2014
Spring 2017 and counting.
Haven't had a bowl since I started the Orthodontic program (including removing wisdom teeth), had a tissue graft to patch up some complications from that last fall.
I could have started a few months ago but now I'm not sure if it's smart to start again depending on my career ambitions and the way insurance companies react.
If I just end up in business for myself I'd be lighting up as often as feels comfortable, for now the pipe is in limbo (PAD Can't be stopped though).

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I'm ten months into the year of fully oxigenated blood I promised my heart after flat lining a few days after triple bypass surgery back in June. This June I'll reassess my position. I like the additional moneys in my pocket but, I do miss the nicotine. We'll see how tough, and/or stupid I might be this June.
Wow definitely take inventory before you consider it. Be well.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
just had a flu that was terrible. In fact not sure it was a flu and not something else. But it was nasty. Normally when I have a flu I can still smoke the pipe without any real issue. Not this time a few puffs in and I'd start feeling asthmatic. Even the tiny bit of ambient smoke getting into my nose would cause me to feel like I was inhaling razor wire. Better now and that first few bowls where divine and perfect. That flu sucked so much and kept tapering down bit by bit each day so the first day was the worst (seriously certain video games where too intense for me that day). Before that the pipe was an occasional thing, something about quiting cigs and finding out that pipe tobacco is more then what was available at the brick and mortar shops has led to near daily smoking.

• Sad
Reactions: BROBS

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I have currently been pipeless since Aug of 2018. My employer put a no tobacco policy in place. I still love the hobby and have remained connected to it through pipe restoration. My employment should change by the summer of next year. I am expecting that first pipe back to be glorious!!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have currently been pipeless since Aug of 2018. My employer put a no tobacco policy in place. I still love the hobby and have remained connected to it through pipe restoration. My employment should change by the summer of next year. I am expecting that first pipe back to be glorious!!
I'd tell em to suck my dong.