PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

I haven't been on here often since last year as I had taken what I refer to as a hiatus from smoking altogether(pipes and ceegars) although I never claimed to have quit; I feel relatively the same healthwise - It's been 8 months...I'd like for anyone who'd like to chime in on the longest break from smoking and in YOUR opinion was the first smoke incredibly delightful or overrated...?

Last edited by a moderator:

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I took a long break from the pipe when we lived in Washington State. I didn't know before moving there that mail order was a no-go, and the prices at B&M's are really high, so I tapered off and quit smoking except for an occasional bowlful for a couple years until we moved to Colorado. It was absolutely great to get back to it.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I took a long break from the pipe when we lived in Washington State. I didn't know before moving there that mail order was a no-go, and the prices at B&M's are really high, so I tapered off and quit smoking except for an occasional bowlful for a couple years until we moved to Colorado. It was absolutely great to get back to it.
I'll bet, especially after noticing a shakedown like that. Do you recall the moment you started again, was it a memorable situation or just a causal light up? I'd hate to regret it; even though emotions pass.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Since I started, 3 weeks. When I only smoked cigars I only had one about every 3 or 4 months. Pipes I usually smoke once a week, but I have a flu like illness the past few weeks and just lit up again for the first time on Friday after a few weeks off. I'll probably take even longer breaks in coming months, just due to life circumstances and general business.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Since I started, 3 weeks. When I only smoked cigars I only had one about every 3 or 4 months. Pipes I usually smoke once a week, but I have a flu like illness the past few weeks and just lit up again for the first time on Friday after a few weeks off. I'll probably take even longer breaks in coming months, just due to life circumstances and general business.
Yes; Part of the reason I stopped was I was under the weather as well and then just never started up. I still drink like a fish though(not a great habit)

Reactions: BROBS

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I'll bet, especially after noticing a shakedown like that. Do you recall the moment you started again, was it a memorable situation or just a causal light up? I'd hate to regret it; even though emotions pass.
No, it was a memorable occasion. I fired up some McClelland Dark Star in my trusty Nording Bulldog and had a fine smoke. Then I started ordering again and the floodgates were opened!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
However long I'm sleeping.

Well, I take a break a little longer than that. When I wake up in the mornings it takes me 30 seconds to get to the coffee pot, a couple of minutes to get the coffee brewed, and another minute to get out to my shop where the pipe I packed the night before is waiting for me to light up. So add another 3 minutes and 30 seconds to chasingembers down time and you've nailed my break from pipe and weed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well, I take a break a little longer than that. When I wake up in the mornings it takes me 30 seconds to get to the coffee pot, a couple of minutes to get the coffee brewed, and another minute to get out to my shop where the pipe I packed the night before is waiting for me to light up. So add another 3 minutes and 30 seconds to chasingembers down time and you've nailed my break from pipe and weed.
I have a pipe filled and ready to go on my night stand. Already smoking when the coffee is brewing.?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
However, I had a 40 year + break. It wasn't intended to be a put by, but when I unboxed a dozen or so good pipes years ago, I lit up. Don't recall the tobacco nor the sensation, if any.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
After my second divorce I really got back into tennis which was my best sport. Got in shape and was busy chasing every skirt in a 30 mile radius. Those dating sites work like a charm.
I actually met a tennis teacher who was very good for a woman. She had a killer body was nice and sweet, but the face was just average and I couldn't get past it. I am a shallow prick, I know. I did get into a relation ship and pipes just were not a big deal to me so I took a couple of years off. Yes the pussy was more important than the pipes, sue me I am a guy.

Now years later I ask myself whether I would rather spend 300 for a dinner and a lay or would I rather have an estate Rad Davis or some other artisan pipe, the pipes are winning this round and I am having fun so that is all that counts. The older I get the less I can listen to the opposite sex just for the purpose of getting laid. My ability to listen to inane drivel is getting shorter and shorter.
The only females I have to deal with are my mom, my 2 daughters and my care taker. None aggravate me.