PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I would if it were me who owned it! Somewhere on here @georged has a line up of a bunch of Pete’s he restemmed into smoking machines. I think they may have been the Antique series.

You should check out the Peterson natural outdoors series if you haven’t already bro
Yeah I’ve been tempted to buy the 86 several times but I think the pipe is just too short (for once).

But I think there’s something about the length of the shank that’s really catching my eye on that one he did. He mentions in the original post that if the shank were a quarter inch longer it would've been spot on for a lovat so it must be the fact that it’s "not quite right" that’s doing it for me.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Yeah I’ve been tempted to buy the 86 several times but I think the pipe is just too short (for once).

But I think there’s something about the length of the shank that’s really catching my eye on that one he did. He mentions in the original post that if the shank were a quarter inch longer it would've been spot on for a lovat so it must be the fact that it’s "not quite right" that’s doing it for me.
It’s a 106, so it’s a massive pipe.

Here’s a a 106 compared to a 53 both PR. The 53 shank is almost exactly .25” longer than the 106.

IMG_8568.jpeg

I kinda want to put a short saddle bit on this 106 now. 😂

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Happy and sad news 🥲

Can you just tell me that I can buy this pipe from you instead?

:)

A bit of behind-the-curtain info should you decide to have a swappable stem made for any Pete silver spigot:

The face of the second stem must be undercut because while the end of the silver cap looks flat, it isn't.

As for owning a Lovat-stemmed 106, there might be hope. Some photos of it were sent to Joshua Burgess a while back in the course of an e-conversation about new ideas for his company, and he replied a few days later that the people he had shown them to at a staff meeting in Ireland had liked it a lot. (i.e. The seed has been planted. ;) )

Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 3.23.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-05 at 3.24.07 PM.png

H

HRPufnstuf

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I recently got into my dealings with turning this cheap, stinking, Wally Frank pipe into a Churchwarden. OK, it doesn't now have a short stem, but it does have the long shank. It might be odd looking, but it made a nice functional churchwarden for sitting down with an old book.

Attachments

• done  (2).jpg
    done (2).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 6

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I recently got into my dealings with turning this cheap, stinking, Wally Frank pipe into a Churchwarden. OK, it doesn't now have a short stem, but it does have the long shank. It might be odd looking, but it made a nice functional churchwarden for sitting down with an old book.
me thinks it makes a most elegant smoking instrument

Reactions: MartyA