PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I mean, how much abuse is leaving it on a Canadian roof. It's merely being subjected to mild temperatures and good intentions.

This past summer was very hot, with crushing humidity some days. So far the fall has been mild but we've had stretches of nothing but wind and rain. I'd say its getting a good workout up there.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've got a few cobs that I've had as long as I've been smoking pipes (close to ten years), and I still smoke them. I doubt they are as durable as briar, but they are good for decades of service if you treat them halfway decently.

I don' t have any of the un-sanded, unfinished cobs like @mikethompson used for his test. All mine are of the variety where the cob is sanded and plastered. They all eventually start to crack after enough smokes, and I fill the cracks in with a bit of pipe mud. None of the cracks go all the way through the bowl. They appear to be just on the surface and mainly cosmetic.

Of the 20 or 30 MM cobs I've owned, I had only had any issue with two of them. One of them is a model without a hardwood plug in the bottom. The bottom of the pipe because very spongy and weak under the center of the bowl, so I carved it out and made a hardwood plug myself out of a dowel rod. I enjoyed the process and still smoke that pipe. I had one other cob that started cracking apart. I think it was just a bad cob combined with my poor technique early on where I smoked it way too hot.

Reactions: JOHN72

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
@mikethompson In your original post you stated you would leave the cob up on the roof for six months (January 2022). It may be frozen and encased in ice, preserving it like one of those cave men they find frozen in ice. I think you should leave it for 1 year...all four seasons. Either way, I'm enjoying this thread.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
A somewhat corny experiment. Might be kind of fun for multiple people to do this across different climate zones…just for comparison’s sake. If you’re going to do it might as well go for more data to make the experiment more valid. ?‍♂️

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A somewhat corny experiment. Might be kind of fun for multiple people to do this across different climate zones…just for comparison’s sake. If you’re going to do it might as well go for more data to make the experiment more valid. ?‍♂️
Who else on this forum would put a cob on their roof for a year?

Experiment more valid? Do you think I'm looking to publish in a scientific journal or something? Ha!

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Who else on this forum would put a cob on their roof for a year?

Experiment more valid? Do you think I'm looking to publish in a scientific journal or something? Ha!

Judging by comments alone, multiple.

I’m certain making it more valid is as ridiculous as doing it in the first place. Sarcasm doesn’t read well sometimes I suppose…?‍♂️