Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
With local pipe shops, it’s “use it or lose it.” I prefer to use it, even if the ambiance of a brick and mortar costs me a few more dollars. We had a great fly fishing store in my local hometown here in West Virginia. Guys would hang out for hours there, and then leave and buy a fly rod and tackle on line. We lost that store and all the joy that came with it.

Uruss

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2022
Alabama, USA
I buy cigars local and pipe tobacco online. The price difference in a tin(s) online versus local prices are astronomical.

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
I haven't been to my "local" B&M since 2011, though I used to make the 45 min. drive 2 and 3 times a week. I felt that the tone of the shop did a 180, from friendly to business. I missed friendly.

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
For some reason, when I go out of the store holding a bag of tins that I just bought, it feels like at least three times better than when I order things online. which got me curious to ask here.

What do you buy from your local shop? I buy erinmore flakes. WAY?
I buy stuff I know ages well at my B&M. I already have far too much tobacco. I call it estate planning as my wife has instructions on how to email my tobacco spreadsheet (sorted by what blend, size, when purchased as well as tin date if known and where in the collection the tin is located) to @pipestud to choose what he would want shipped to him and in what order. To be fair I really like my B&M and that is where I source my Esoterica and some rare blends. It pays to shop local. I do also by online but that is more of.... "Oh look Cringle Flake is dropping. Time to buy my friends Christmas gifts! (proceeds to by a dozen tins.)

Reactions: pipestud and Mike N
G

Gimlet

All the high street shops I use also sell online so there's not much difference in price. It's the government that hammers us. They stuck another £3 of duty on a 2 oz tin last month.

Reactions: Mike N and jpmcwjr
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I buy cigars local and pipe tobacco online. The price difference in a tin(s) online versus local prices are astronomical.

I was just at my local cigar shop the other day, and they carry a small selection of tin tobacco. Mainly Peterson blends, and some Stokkebye 4th Generation. The prices on the Peterson blends are about $8 - $12 higher than what I can get them for online. I live in WA state so, we have a pretty high tax on tobacco, so it's not cost affective for me to buy tins from them. I support them by buying bulk blends from time to time and some cigars whenever I visit the shop.