PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
As most said, I wish I had one that was truly “local”.
There is a cigar shop with a pipe shelf that has a few MacB, C&D, and Sutliff bulks and a smattering of tins.
When I started out last year, I bought a tin of HH Balkan to support them and to try balkans. I liked it, looked closer at it and it was 2018, so went back and bought the other three they had. I’ve bought out their Bayou Morning and Habana Daydream bulks as well. I stop by every once in a while to see if they’ve gotten anything new in, but they have not.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I buy almost all my tobacco from local shops. But I’m fortunate enough to live in northern Virginia which has some fine places: Old Virginia Tobacco Company, Leesburg Pipe and Cigar, and John B. Hayes. I also travel to Chicago, near Arlington Pipe and Cigar, and Myrtle Beach, home to Low Country Pipe and Cigar. Plus Boswell is about 90 minutes away. Those establishments keep the cellar stocked.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I travel a lot so for me B&Ms are like scavenger hunts, on my last trip I found.

1 tin of C&D palimento
2 tins of 3 nuns green w/ age
2 tins of HH rustica
3 tins of Balkan Sobrani
1 tin of Orlik Kentucky w/ age
1 tin of C&D Sunbear
1 tin of Tilbury
1 tin of Dunbar
2 oz. of Pembroke
1 tin of Best Brown # 2 w/ 4 years age
1 tin of Skiff w/ 4 years age
1 tin escudo w/ 3 years age
1 tin deluxe navy rolls w/ 3 years age
1 tin McClellands Arcadia w/ 18 years age

and that's all I can remember off the top of my head

The Local in Asheville where I was for 6 months had true house blends that were not just relabeled 1Q
and the local in Spokane where I am now has 10 year old G&H bulk flake in giant jars full of plume.
I don't mind paying higher prices for rare/aged tobacco. I just get all my daily's online.
There is great exhilaration and satisfaction when finding a rare or aged blend especially when paying the original tin price. It all comes out in the wash and the hunt is all part of it.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
When i lived in SD i would buy tobacco at Liberty Tobacco a great shop, now that I'm in Florida the local to me shop has a couple tins of Peterson's and the required goopy gallon glass jars of store mixes. I did buy a rossi pipe from them and a travel pipe bag that holds like 20 pipes, a little over kill, i should sell it on here or something, i'll never ever use it. lol

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't like driving too much. Mail order worked fine for me until the freaking developers decided we'll have a central mail box location. Now pick up mail once a week and prefer UPS to drop the damned thing front at my door step. I guess 55+ community needs mail at the door steps didn't ring a bell in a-holes' collective brain cell. That's one cell.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The neighboring town has a cigar shop (Paul's Cigars) that's been around since I was a kid. They have some bulk pipe tobacco and a variety of briar and meerschaum pipes. I visit them a few times a year to pick up a few cigars, and pipe cleaners etc. and maybe stock up on some bulk aromatics. I buy most of my stuff online, but I do try to help support the local shops at times.

There are several tobacco shops across the river from me in Portland, OR and there is one I'll visit once in a while (82nd Ave Tobacco and Pipe). They used to have a good variety of pipe tobacco tins, and collection of pipes. Though the last time I was there it seemed to be scaled back a bit from before. Still a decent selection. The other ones are a bit further out, so I don't frequent them very often.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
I am very fortunate that I live near Watch City. That is my "go to". Ernie is very knowledgeable, and the store is well stocked...and he's bringing back Simply Orange! I also am about 40 minutes from Peretti's in Boston. I travel a fair bit for business in the Northeast. I make it a point to check out any local shops. My last sojourn was Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint. Not the original owner, and he has limited tins, mostly bulk, (although some McLelland's (!) at a premium). I scored a 11-year-old Fifth Generation tin, smoked some this evening. I avoid New York State because they really slam you with taxes.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
No Tobacco shops here in England apart from the tobacco stalls in the supermarkets, not the best, so all of my pipe's and tobacco is all online, I don't mind this as all the best tobacco's are with me in 2 days and we do have great tobacco's in the UK.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Hit my local every weekend. I love the couple of guys that work there. The shop is super friendly to veterans and they even still have a bit of McClelland stuff in bulk. I live in west Texas, and I know for certain there aren't many pipe smokers here. The shop does mostly cigars so I usually pop in, grab a tin or two of some 965 or NCap, have a nice chat and I'm on my way. Although it is a tad more expensive, I'm blessed to have a great job, so its not a deal breaker whatsoever. Its nice to support your local.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I feel a pretty lucky to have a couple pipe and cigar shops about 20 minutes from my house. I buy local as much as possible, and yeah, it may cost a few bucks more, but they only cost a few dollars, (No more than $5 a tin) more.

One of the shops has been around for as long as I can remember, and has now passed on to the Daughter! I remember going there for cigars back in the early '70. They were a Great trio of Gentlemen who definitely knew about Cigars and Pipes! They have all passed now, unfortunately, and they are missed by many.

Now their Daughter has continued with the business, I don't mind spending some coin there when I need something. She is still learning the business, and is getting her stock built back up!!

The newer shop has only been around for 7 or 8 years, and it is growing pretty well

Good, Friendly people at both shops!!

There is nothing like going into a old tobacco shop and smell the room air that is accented with the smell of many various tobaccos and a walk in humidor with lots of cigars!

Kentucky still has some good brick and mortar tobacco/pipe shops. I just don't think they do a whole lot of online business, but I still do quite a bit of shopping online and shopping online has brought me HERE!!

...and I kind of like it here.... :sher:

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I am lucky, 50 steps down the road is a brick n mortar. They sell some cigars and about 25 different kinds of pipe tobaccos, most of them aromatics, which I don’t like that much, but there is also some amphora, and Mac Baren, Three Nuns. And the lady is friendly, she asks what she could order, if she could get it from her seller. So i may see some HH blends. Some pipes, cigars, broad range of cigarettes and different pipe cleaners, filters are also in reach.

30 minutes drive takes me to one of the biggest pipe and tobacco shops around in North Rhine Westfalia, „Chateau Henri“, the pendant to Peter Heinrichs „Haus der 1000 Pfeifen“ in cologne, 40 minutes away.

Impressive broad range of houseblends from Kohlhaas and Kopp and others at fair prices and most tins the European market has to offer are waiting here. Pipes from 30 to almost a few thousand bucks. Last year they had a Bo Nordh for 25000 Euros, I think it’s sold.

thepipesman

Lurker
Apr 13, 2023
I don't know if you gents have kept an eye on legal developments but there is also a constant push to ban tobacco sales from the internet. So the sad thing is many of our local shops have gone out of business due to competition from online sales, which may now also become illegal and we will be left with few if any sources for tobacco. I live in a militantly liberal state that tries to criminalize tobacco at ever turn. Taxes are through the roof and so are the legal requirements and licenses for businesses to sell it. Now mind altering drugs on the other hand...legalizing those is a number 1 priority for the criminals in charge. They want to keep people doped up and dumb so nobody questions the corruption and erosion of civil rights.

Wet Dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2023
Littleton, CO
I used to go a lot to my favorite pipe shop (Edwards, in Englewood, a suburb south of Denver). Always had a great time and it still is a very good shop. For many years I bought most, if not all, of my pipe tobacco there. Bought there many pipes, too, especially when they had shows. It is really worth supporting your local shops and cultivate relationships. I would encourage those that can to do so. But there were other shops that were not worth the effort, and some already closed. It all depends on what the store is and the people there.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Browny

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
The local tobacco shop was fantastic many years ago.Loads of quality pipes,jars of pipe tobacco,and it smelled great. Now its 99% cigars with a little Captain Black thrown in. I wouldnt know where to find a local pipe store. I have to buy everything online now

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
Hit my local every weekend. I love the couple of guys that work there. The shop is super friendly to veterans and they even still have a bit of McClelland stuff in bulk. I live in west Texas, and I know for certain there aren't many pipe smokers here. The shop does mostly cigars so I usually pop in, grab a tin or two of some 965 or NCap, have a nice chat and I'm on my way. Although it is a tad more expensive, I'm blessed to have a great job, so its not a deal breaker whatsoever. Its nice to support your local.
Interesting! I haven't checked on line, but if I had to guess I'd say you must live in El Paso. I can't imagine a pipe shop being able to survive any where else in west Texas. puffy