PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
The local tobacco shop was fantastic many years ago.Loads of quality pipes,jars of pipe tobacco,and it smelled great. Now its 99% cigars with a little Captain Black thrown in. I wouldnt know where to find a local pipe store. I have to buy everything online now
When I sold my shop about 20 years ago the new owner quickly converted it to almost nothing but cigars. Shortly after I sold it the cigar boom started to die (I thought it might as I had been tipped off by a friend who had a lifetime of experience in the business). The shop survived for a few years and because of some bad business decisions went kaput! puffy

Reactions: JOHN72 and Model 29

tirefire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Over the past 30 years, I can't remember not being close to a tobacco shop. In the 1990s, I worked in Boston. I could walk out the office door take a left up Beacon Street to David P. Ehrlich's shop on Tremont Street. Or, I walk straight out the office door, cross Boston Common to L. J. Peretti.

My local shop here in Indiana was a little weak on pipe tobacco smoking items until recently. They have the usual aromatic tobacco display jars and now have stocked up on tinned offerings from Peterson and Mac Baren. I used to hit the store a couple of times per week for cigars. Now I stop by to check out pipe tobacco stock . . . Bought a tin of Mac Baren's Virginia Flake this past week.

G

Gimlet

I have a newspapers, cigs and booze shop locally that keeps a small but useful selection of pipe tobacco. I buy Ennerdale and GH Coffee and Caramel from there. Two ladies run it and I try to support them.

There's a really good tobacconist 25 miles away in Newcastle. I used to go there and do a big stock up from time to time but Newcastle city centre has declared itself a clean air zone and I'm mugged £12 to drive my van there so I don't bother.

There's two or three other good shops further afield and I do visit in person every so often. Use them or lose them. And I like a good wander round a tobacconist, to see what pipes and bits and pieces they've got in. Buying online is not the same. It's unavoidable, though I reckon I manage to buy around 50% of my supplies over one counter or another.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The most I have bought in the neighborhood tobacconist, has been tins of virginia flake, and bags, to 50 grams. In the year 95 or 96, I don't remember well. I was beginning to discover the world of tobacco, in the tobacconists of my city, in my neighborhood. I did not stock a large number of boxes of cigars, as I did not know that this sector would decline over the years, and that prices would go up like crazy. Then I discovered the world of the pipe, a few years ago, and ignored the great variety that I had a few blocks from my house. They had a very varied catalog of cigars and pipe tobacco. However, because of my ignorance and lack of knowledge, I bought online. Although online there was also fantastic tobacco, which did not exist in the catalogs of the neighborhood tobacconist. So the last years of buying tobacco, I bought it in the local tobacconist, a decent, cheap and affordable tobacco to my economic possibilities. Let's say that I started on the red line, since today, cans of 50 grams that I used to buy at 6 euros, are now at 10 euros, others at 20 or 30 euros. Crazy, I can not afford such a cost of prices. I remember the cigar rooms. All cedar wood, with their humidors giving off humidity. It was really fantastic. You would get boxes of authentic cigars from Cuba, for little money. Now it is impossible to access them. Partagas and H Upmann were my daily cigars.

Last edited:

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I wish I liked my local tobacco shop. Even if I did, it's a 30+ minute drive and the selection is definitely more geared towards cigar smokers.

Reactions: JOHN72

Homer

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
No local shop(s) where I live.

I’m also one, that doesn’t care at all to go to any stores, just a waste of time IMHO.

Gas, car wear and tear, traffic, etc...

If I can buy online, I do that now instead.
That reminds me of this Simpsons episode.

• Haha
Reactions: PipeIT

Homer

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
Closest tobacco shop is in Helsinki and it’s 180miles from my home. They have Petersons for aprox 35$ per 2oz tin.

• Sad
Reactions: PipeIT

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
stopped buying at my local shop when i started getting charged $40 for a tin of deluxe navy rolls and $33 for capstan blue/gold.
Ooof. Just looking at those numbers makes my asshole pucker. Brutal!

This scenario is all too prevalent nowadays (the prices, not my colorful vignette). $20 per tin of either blend is a bargain comparatively. It's no wonder most people just go straight to the e-tailers.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Any pipe tobacco shops in Manhattan New York?

Barclay-Rex at 126 Pearl Street, in lower Manhattan on the East Side has some tins, bulk tobacco, and pipes (new and used, small selection)—the tins are about $25.00–$30.00 per tin; Davidoff in Brookfield Place (approximately 230 Vesey Street, downtown on the West Side) has some Davidoff tins, also close to $30.00 a tin. Are you planning a visit to New York?

Reactions: fireground_piper

Homer

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
Barclay-Rex at 126 Pearl Street, in lower Manhattan on the East Side has some tins, bulk tobacco, and pipes (new and used, small selection)—the tins are about $25.00–$30.00 per tin; Davidoff in Brookfield Place (approximately 230 Vesey Street, downtown on the West Side) has some Davidoff tins, also close to $30.00 a tin. Are you planning a visit to New York?
Thank you for the info.
My friend is now at New York but I think that he has no time to bring anything.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Whenever I visit my youngest daughter who lives in Decatur, GA, I always make it a point to stop in and see my friends at Puff N’ Stuff. They have a great selection of pipe tobacco on the floor, but an even a better selection of pipe tobacco hidden behind the closet door. I always like to ask what’s behind the door and because they know me (and know that I will not resell what I buy online) they allow me to buy more than the minimum (one bag or tin per day); it’s like being in an exclusive club. Mail day is pretty awesome as well though.

Hutch Piper

(Hutch1904)
Mar 12, 2022
Charlotte, NC
There are a few staples I buy. But I also pick up whatever is new/interesting that you can’t find online. Esoterica Tilbury was my last nice snag.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I should shop at Uhles more often but I pretty much only buy their house blends or rare drops as tins of common stuff like Mac Baren and C&D are close to or over 30 bucks a tin. I just can’t justify buying at those prices even if I love the shop. I’ll buy pipes and accessories too. If they could drop the tin prices down to something more reasonable I doubt I would shop online as much as I do.

Pipeoff

Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
My local well stocked shop is about 1 hr away. The tins are a lot higher than on line because they want you to focus on bulk hand blended offered. At first the bulk seemed expensive but when compared to the quantity in tins the price was right. The huge variety allows me to sample blends before buying. The used wood is priced a lot lower than on line. Well worth the trip because postage is increasing. The in shop made natural finished straight grains are priced so low that I laugh at those who pay $300 plus for a pipe made Joe Chickenpluck. Will not mention the maker because increased demand will drive the price up.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I should shop at Uhles more often but I pretty much only buy their house blends or rare drops as tins of common stuff like Mac Baren and C&D are close to or over 30 bucks a tin. I just can’t justify buying at those prices even if I love the shop. I’ll buy pipes and accessories too. If they could drop the tin prices down to something more reasonable I doubt I would shop online as much as I do.
I imagine that’s your states 71% tax on manufacture list price to distributors and not something within their power to lower unfortunately.

HeavyLeadBelly

Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I imagine that’s your states 71% tax on manufacture list price to distributors and not something within their power to lower unfortunately.
More than likely though I’ve been to other shops in the state selling for cheaper. I’m thinking it’s a combination of tax and general cost overhead of keeping the store running. But I’m not paying 30 bucks for C&D regardless of the reasons.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Love this place! Whenever I’m in NY, I make it a point to stop by. Pricy, but well worth the experience. Just sitting and talking with my fellow New Yorkers makes it all worthwhile.
Same here. Loved it more when they had a mid-town presence. Was there 7-8 years ago, but don't remember tins at almost $30.00! Bought some bulk at JJ Fox, and it was "only" £ 30.00 for 50 grams.

Reactions: gamzultovah