Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Simon, thanks for the picture, those were sweet bikes as well. Nice leathers

drif.gif

rybo

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
i'm big into art. i paint these canvases that sell really really well around town. i also do some spraypaint work (mural type stuff - on walls). i've also done some logos here and there. i'm a computer programming major, but i'm pursuing a career in web design or something similar.
other than that, i'm a Lord of the Rings & Harry Potter fanatic, i like poker nights, Brain Trust meetings (where me and a few guys sit around, smoke pipes and talk books, theology, whatever), and good hibachi. also, i LOVE to shag. for you northerners, it doesn't mean what you think - it's a type of dance...mostly to beach music.

redfox

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2010
I actually am addicted to crochet, but i love hiking through the mountains, tea, pipes, antique restoration and collecting, reading, ballet, and @ dunedain, OPERA IS FRIGGIN AMAZING. lol!

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
Reading, mostly history and biographies because you just can't make this stuff up.
Fly Fishing, it's sort of a zen activity for me.
Motorcycles, I now own a little BMW F650GS single cylinder (thumper). Just got a new Corbin seat for it. My next bike? Either the BMW GS1200 (because it goes anywhere) or the Ducati ST3 (because...it's a Ducati)Cost, as always, will be the deciding factor so I may be riding my little bike for some time.
Music, love jazz and classical but all types have some appeal for me (except rap). Lately I've had an urge to learn to play the ukulele, much to my wife's dismay.
Avoiding yard work (need I say more?)
Oh yeah, Pipes!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Caliguy,

Hobie and I both ride, I have an 03 Fat Boy and I'm not sure what his are.

Oh yeah its spelled crap music... the "C" is silent.

:)

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I still like to shoot now and then, but my favorite past time is chasing girls on my bike

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
pstlpkr> A Fat Boy is a sweet ride. Seems a few of us ride. We'll have to organize a pipe/bike rally somewhere smoke friendly.
Vegas, baby, Vegas! You can still smoke there, right? I mean it wouldn't be much of a sin city if you couldn't fire up the briar.

pens87

Lurker
Jul 24, 2010
Reading: all over the board here...sci fi, fantasy, historical fiction, history to name a few
Bit of a Civil War buff

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I fix electronics on the side, I read more than I should with the time I have, I restore estate pipes (new hobby), I collect iPods, and I like to take the boat out on the lake!
IMG_2202.jpg

rybo

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
I fix electronics on the side
i'm a pretty big geek myself, but i can't seem to fix my dad's ipod. completely bricked - won't turn on, etc. he thinks it's hard drive issue, i am thinking power. any ideas? i'm going to put it in freezer for a few to shrink HD and hopefully get data off. anythink else i should try?

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Does it turn on when it is plugged in? If it was a hard drive issue it would turn on you would just see a sad ipod face. If it doesn't turn on when plugged in you probably have a loose or broken wire, and if it does than you need to replace the battery. Replacing the battery is easy, I can walk you through it. Hope this helps, message me with any other questions!

rybo

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
awesome - does not turn on...so my suspicions are (hopefully) correct! i'll DM you if needed - thanks again!

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Lots of riders here!
In my college years I owned a Honda 500, a straight four. Nice ride and if I was going to get another bike I'd look for one like that. Later I had a Yamaha 750, two-stroke V (I don't remember model names or numbers) and though it was a larger bike and a decent ride, it never matched the Honda.
No more bikes. I also used to do a lot of backpacking and hiking and running and cycling and stuff like that. But I have two little kids now (and a wife!), so that takes a lot of time and energy with not much left over for hobbies. But... I do keep at the photography (not just of the kids). I prefer film, have a darkroom and love old-school and simple cameras. TLRs, rangefinders, Holgas, things like that. I also do a lot of pinhole photography and have built a number of my own cameras (nothing fancy, mind you). Pinhole is about as basic and simple as you can get.
I also enjoy backyard astronomy and have recently forayed into solar astronomy with a dedicated set-up. The Sun is dynanic - every day is different and beautiful and I just love it.
Other things - I read. A lot. Physics, philosophy, cosmology, neuroscience, etc. And I do some occasional woodworking. Built a boat several years ago, a lapstrake Merrimack skiff - just a small rowboat. Now I'm busted back to bookshelves and random house repairs.
One common thread is that I like to keep things simple and low-tech. Film, not digital. Rowboat, not a power boat. Manually operated telescopes, no motor-drives, no computerized object locators (not yet, anyway, I may cave on that score). Actual books, no e-readers. (These are all just personal preferences - no judgements, and I'm no purist.)
I like to keep the experiences as direct as possible and I think pipe-smoking dovetails in with that quite nicely.
Nice to meet some folks to share the puffing with, even if "virtually".

funn

Lurker
Jul 28, 2010
Pipes

Reading

Cooking

I'm an instrumental band director in high school

and am a professional musician so..

Playing gigs

Teaching jazz improvisation

Babysitting my grand dog Mingus,an 85lb 2 yr.old English Lab that belongs to my

acoustical bass playing son.

Playing trombone,acoustical bass,composing.

Concerts,primarily jazz.

Tea

Greatest joy is playing gigs w/my two sons,one plays trumpet and the other plays bass.
Funn

funn

Lurker
Jul 28, 2010
Love to hobie1dog but I haven't perfected the technique yet.

I'm on Face Book though with several shots of a couple of bands I lead

and my Grand Dog.
Funn

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Pictures are always welcome as all this text is BORING. My original intent was to get people to post up pictures of their hobby related items for us to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.