PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Toyman, I don't know what type of music you're into, but theres a Canadian guy named Fred J Eaglesmith that writes lots of songs about old tractors, small motors and such.

His style of country music might not suit the average listener any more, and his songs are typically pretty depressing subjects. If somebody isn't dead, they're usually about to lose their farm :)

But, judging from your hobbies you might be interested in these songs;

John Deere B

Small Motors

Two Machines

http://tiny.cc/xh70v

Of course theres other great stuff on the album, like "Rooster Fight" and "I shot your dog" :)

Fred Eaglesmith and the Flathead Noodlers. Nuff Said.

toyman01

Lurker
Apr 2, 2011
Uncle Arthur, I've got a 1861 Ingraham wall clock on my bench now. It just needs a little TLC. Finding the time to work on it has been a challenge. This is probably my favorite. It's a 1900 Seth Thomas Seville.
ThirdSethSm.jpg

Lonestar, thanks for the link. We have a John Deere B in the works now. We just finished a 1949 Farmall Cub. I don't even have a picture of it completed. Here it's about 90%
IMG_20101114_143433.jpg

Here is one of the 1941 John Deere H. We have done two of these.
IMG_20101114_115643.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Great clock! Love that Cub. I am a Farmall fan from way back. We always had an A around the place when I was a kid.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Beautiful clock !

Beautiful Tractors !

Thanks for the pics, you've got some great hobbies there.

I always wondered if anybody at the tractor shows know about Fred Eaglesmith, that album is probably my all time favorite.

"John Deere B"

I watched him check the oil,

I watched him set the spark.

He pulled on that old pumpcord 'til,

He finally got it started.

Then he listened to the motor,

and then he set the time.

When he got it going,

I watched him slowly smile.

It was a John Deere B, with a row crop front end,

A handcrank and a flywheel, the original B.

But it wont work another field, it won't farm another farm.

Some restaurant up in Omaha, has got it parked out on its lawn."
And as a bonus, theres a Pipe smoker on the album cover :)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I used to study shotokan karate - earned my Shodan (first degree black belt). But ever since I got out of the Navy 15 years ago I haven't found a dojo that I could stick with. Too many kids, I felt like Kramer (Seinfeld reference).
A few years ago I belonged to a good gun club that had their own league; similar to IDPA competitions, but the range went out of business and since then I haven't found a similar club or league. So my Kimber 1911 remains unfired.
Lately I've been doing a lot of volunteer work for a local dog shelter. We only have the capacity to house a half dozen dogs or so, but we find homes for every dog we take in so it's very rewarding.
And when I'm not finding homes for the Secondhand Mutts (that's the name of our shelter) I'm taking care of my two dogs, both rescues and both a lot of fun.
And then the pipes. I usually go to both the Chicago and Columbus shows and have made some great friends at both.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
When I was younger, I spent summers collectin rattlesnakes for venom extraction/ antivenom production.

For awhile I worked for an exotic animal dealer.

I still keep a few reptiles;

Heres some pics, but they were all taken in the evening, just before lizard bedtime. The animals are looking pretty drab compared to the colors in the morning when they're fired up!

Heres a Haitian White-Lipped Anole

001.jpg

Heres a Gonocephalus Chaemeleontinus

003.jpg

Heres an Acanthosaura Armata

013.jpg

Heres a 3 foot long Chinese Waterdragon

007.jpg

And heres a Blue Spiny from west Texas

009.jpg

jayhp

Lurker
Feb 12, 2011
I am a dad

husband

hunter

fisherman

I make handmade longbows, recurves, arrows ,quivers,broadheads ,etc

and....

I am a Master Falconer

ivan08

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2010
I play electric guitar in a local heavy metal band in many pubs around the island. I'm a ocean addict! I practice surfing and Scuba Diving. I love my pets, I have dogs, cats and a snake; I jump from an Airplane in 2004 only one time (skydiving) but definetly is a sport that I wanna do on a regular basis! Unfortunatly is a very expensive sport (equipment) and also the lessons have too high prices! :( I also like to practice skateboard and in-line skates! My other addiction is the gym! :)

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
Tattoos - Believe it or not, I've wanted tattoos since I was 3 years old. My Grandpas were WWII and Korean War Vets w/a lot of traditional sailor work. My Dad was an Air Force man with a few.
Cigars - Perdomo - Edicion de Silvio Salomon Maduro(I picked up a box of these just before they were discontinued and got Nick Perdomo to sign them as a birthday gift!)

Partagas - D4, Lusitanias

H. Upmann - No. 2

Fuente - Anejo Sharks, 55s

Joya de Nicaragua - Antano Gran Consul
Bodybuilding - It's a constant struggle. I still look like shit!

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
My other interests/hobbies include:
Model Railroads - HO Scale. Been toying with idea of garden railroads. Haven't gotten past the planing stage since me moved to new house last October.
Woodworking - Various types from jewlery boxes to furniture. Almost got my shop put back together since the move.
Gardening - Didn't get too big a garden in this year in new house. Only got one raised bed (12X6) in.
Computers/Electronics - Interests include interfacing computers to real word, artifical intel, automation, etc
Fishing/Hunting - Speaks for itself.
Shooting - Being former law enforcement, its in my nature to play with guns.
:puffpipe:

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
An interesting thread. My bobbies include reading, hiking, camping, and fishing when I can find the time. And, while I don't really do as much of it these days as I used to, due to a lack of time, I enjoy knitting without using patterns. I just make it up as I go along.
Here are a few items I have made:
2722533073_53d0e18d30.jpg

holster2.jpg

holster.jpg

hatfinished3.jpg

finishedscarf.jpg

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Other than smoking a pipe, im a cartoonist and skateboard nearly constantly.
PipeTrucker: Youre a fine knitter, that sweater looks great. Have you thought of making a knit pipe design into somthing like that? That'd be great. I dont know the hours of work somthing like that takes though. So i might make it sound like its easy to do!

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
PipeTrucker: Youre a fine knitter, that sweater looks great. Have you thought of making a knit pipe design into somthing like that? That'd be great. I dont know the hours of work somthing like that takes though. So i might make it sound like its easy to do!
Thanks, Johnny. It takes many hours to knit a complete sweater. The one nice thing is that I knit them "in the round" as a single, seamless piece, so when completed I don't have any pieces to seam together.
I suppose I probably could do something with a pipe design in it, but that will have to wait until I get motivated enough to do a large project again LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.